1981 Carver Mariner 33' Needs Holding Tank

baysailerbill

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 18, 2009
Messages
2
I just purchased a 1981 Carver Mariner 33' with no waist holding tank. The head has a Port-A-Potty with a 9 gallon holding tank built in. We are going to be living aboard the boat during the summer months and this system just won't do. I would love to install an electric head with a good sized holding tank.

Has anyone installed a holding tank in a 33' Mariner? Does anyone have a holding tank on there boat now? If so, where is it mounted and/or located on the boat? What size is it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BILL
 

Attachments

  • Carver_33_sideshot.JPG
    Carver_33_sideshot.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 0

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Nov 7, 2002
Messages
1,977
Re: 1981 Carver Mariner 33' Needs Holding Tank

Bill-
First, welcome to iboats! :D

I don't have a 33 Mariner but my 34 Silverton had a similar problem.
Mine originally came with an oversized portapottie (6 gallon).
The previous owner opened the bilge compartments and measured the largest space. He found a similar-sized poly tank (20 gallon) and installed it below the floor. He had to cut some of the floor framing but it was all replaced and reinforced.
He installed a 3-way valve for the black water (tank-mascerator-pumpout), rigged up a new SeaEra electric head, then ran all the lines and wiring.
The end result is very nice. Pumpouts are easy and the tank has enough capacity for 4 people for a week. The electric head has been maintenance-free for the past 5 years and requires NO pumping- just push a button!
 

weasel5

Recruit
Joined
Aug 29, 2009
Messages
2
Re: 1981 Carver Mariner 33' Needs Holding Tank

i have a 81 carver mariner 33'. my toilet has a small waste tank built in which goes to a hand driven transfer pump located under the hatch in front of the refrigerator, which pumps into the main holding tank which is under the floor in the v-berth. you can see the end of it from that same hatch. the deck fitting is on the starboard side, midship. hope this helps.
 

baysailerbill

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 18, 2009
Messages
2
Re: 1981 Carver Mariner 33' Needs Holding Tank

Thanks for your help everyone.

I was looking at the boat yesterday and I think putting the holding tank under the V-berth is the way to go. The pumpout nozzle is already mounted on the starboard side and running a new hose to it should not be a problem. I am going to install an electric head. This winter I will pull up the floor and measure the space so I can fit in the largest tank possible.

Thanks again,
BILL
 
Top