1980 suzuki dt8 spitting fuel

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
just bought a jon boat with the suzuki dt8, put it in the water for the first time today. started it up, ran good until it hit a rock at idle and it stopped. didnt hit prop and no damage done but it quit. tried starting again and i think i flooded it but i noticed it was spitting fuel out of a hole in the top of the carb. no threads so a screw isnt missing. is this an override thing. hope you know what im saying. will take pics if necesary

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
sounds like that is a vent and the carb is over filling.
time to take the carb apart and see what is keeping the float from closing off the needle and seat when the carb is full

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
sounds like that is a vent and the carb is over filling.
time to take the carb apart and see what is keeping the float from closing off the needle and seat when the carb is full
is this a sign of carb issues or me flooding the motor.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
for the bowl to over fill, something has to keep the float from seating the needle into the seat to stop the flow of fuel when the bowl is full.
or debris is in the seat keeping the needle from sealing off

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
for the bowl to over fill, something has to keep the float from seating the needle into the seat to stop the flow of fuel when the bowl is full.
or debris is in the seat keeping the needle from sealing off
thanks for the info, now can you tell me what a carb is? lol, just kidding, im going to go burn some right now. all jokes aside, thank you guys for your help, as they say on tv, I GOT THIS.

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
thanks for the info, now can you tell me what a carb is? lol, just kidding, im going to go burn some right now. all jokes aside, thank you guys for your help, as they say on tv, I GOT THIS.
maybe someone can help me out. looking all over the interwebs and cant find a carb rebuild kit. any suggestions?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
maybe someone can help me out. looking all over the interwebs and cant find a carb rebuild kit. any suggestions?
I would take it apart and be careful , good chance it just needs cleaning and can reuse the gaskets etc
look for what the problem is and what is needed before buying parts