1980 Johnson 70 Lower Unit

SpamPutney

Seaman Apprentice
I've read all the previous posts about lower units, but I'm still stuck. I can't even get to the part where it drops down a little. I removed the four bolts, and....nothing. I can barely even see the seam..it almost looks like a line that's drawn there. Banging on it, pulling on it, all does nothing. Any suggestions? This sucker is on TIGHT! Thanks.

KingJB

Cadet
Re: 1980 Johnson 70 Lower Unit

Try Pouring Coke (cola) onto the bolts. They are made of steel and the housing is aluminum which causes electrolysis between the dissimillar metals which will lock it up. Another product is JB blaster penetrating lubricant which will sometimes loosen frozen parts up. Last resort would be to heat the bolts and casing up with a torch while pulling on it. Good Luck (I have the same problem with a powerhead I'm trying to get off)

SpamPutney

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, but I think maybe I wasn't clear about the problem. I got the bolts out(they were frozen, but I eventually freed them), but the lower unit refuses to budge. It's as if the bolts are still in.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There are more than 4 bolts. Look under the anti ventilation plate and under the trim tab.<br /><br />Good luck!

scottsabre

Cadet

More than four bolts. Don't forget to disconnect the shift linkage up top. The shift rod slides out with the foot.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

What Scottsabre said, and look under the exaust plennum (this is also the "zinc" on my Forces). but manufactrs like to integrate the zinc somewhere in the design. So remove the zinc wherever it is.<br /><br /><br /><br />------------------<br />the Early bird get's the worm...So, he don't have to stop for bait.

SpamPutney

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, guys. There were indeed 2 more bolts...one on the zinc, and one other. **** thing still won't budge a millimeter. I must be missing something else. I ordered teh Clymer repair manual earlier this week...should have it soon. Thanks again for all the suggestions. It's real frustrating....I brought a 1969 Plymouth Fury back to life, but can't change a water impeller on a boat engine.
smile.gif