1980 88 hp Evinrude stalls at idle

misterleon

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
3
I just bought a boat with a 1980 88 hp Evinrude. I took it out for the first time about a month ago and it ran great with no problems. A few days ago, the second time I had it out, it would stall unless I moved the lever to high rpms. Every time I started to lower the rpms it would die. Any suggestions as to what it could be? I don't understand since everything was fine before. Thanks.
 

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
8,958
Re: 1980 88 hp Evinrude stalls at idle

Is it firing on all cylinders?
Compression OK?
Fresh fuel mixture?
Have the carbs been overhauled?
 

misterleon

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
3
Re: 1980 88 hp Evinrude stalls at idle

When it first starts up it seems like they aren't all firing at first. I haven't checked the compression, but I was using fresh fuel and I haven't done anything to the carbs. Could there be a problem with the float?
 

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
8,958
Re: 1980 88 hp Evinrude stalls at idle

I would check the easy stuff first.
Spark should jump a 7/16" air gap and be bright blue.
Compression should be somewhere around 125 or a little higher, but more importantly be within 10% of each other.
 
Top