1979 Wellcraft Airslot 165 - Repair

First post: been watching youtube videos and reading forum posts for days now. Thanks for all the great info about how to fix a boat for those of us that are true beginners.

I purchased the boat a couple of days ago for $600. When I went to look at it, I knew something was up and the guy was lying through his teeth about something: what was a mystery. Yesterday, I discovered the first part of the mystery.... TERMITES! Live termites and still eating.

I tore out almost all the wood in the boat and threw it out in the yard - killed as many termites as possible. I'm down to needing to remove the deck (the parts that are left) and the side shelves. As I'm doing this, I've also been reading and watching videos to figure out the next steps.

The Airslot came with carpet and I plan to replace the carpet once I replace the floor. But I have a couple of questions about removing the deck and the two side shelves.

Question 1: How do I safely remove the deck? I've seen people recommend leaving about 2 to 4 inches around the side but that's just not possible when the sides are completely rotten or termite infested. Either way, I think I need to remove the entire decking.

My uninformed plan: I'll take a skill saw and set the depth and cut about 2 inches away from the sides, then take a grinder and grind down the last bit until I've removed the entire wood decking and the resin coating.

Would anyone recommend I do something different?

Question 2: for the shelves, I still need to rip the carpet off them but once the carpet has been removed, I plan on using the grinder to cut/grind the resin/wood shelf off the sides. Really the same question again: any different recommendations?

Here's what I believe are my next steps:
1. Cut untreated plywood to replace the old deck.
2. Set the plywood on the stringers using PL glue from loctite.
3. Screw the deck to the stringers with stainless steel screws and using 5200 marine adhesive - this part I'm a bit confused on. On my boat, there isn't any wood sides connected to the stringers. From the videos I saw, some boats have a piece of wood attached to the side of the stringers. My boat doesn't and I can see screws and screw holes that are connecting directly to the stringers. My plan is to do the same: screw right into the stringers as it was originally built.
4. Fill the sides with peanut butter and using a bondo putty knife to smooth the transitions.
5. Apply 1708 fiberglass tape over the peanut butter and then wipe down with acetone.
6. Apply 2 coats of marine grade resin over everything.
7. Apply a coat of marine grade adhesive for carpets and then install the carpet.

For the shelves, pretty much the same steps except there aren't any stringers... so I'm unsure how to connect the shelves to the side of the boat.

Would anyone like to validate/correct anything above? Again, I'm new and not easily offended so go ahead and tell me if I'm not planning correctly, have missing steps - anything I need to know to ensure I do this right the first time.

Thanks for any and all feedback! -D

Here's an UPDATE:
​Boat is so full of termites that I'm scrapping the project entirely. Have removed the engine and stern drive, all the wiring harnesses, even the steering wheel and the shift mechanisms, cables... everything is out of the boat. It's just a empty hull now. I'm taking it to the dump.

​Now my query is this: what can I do with the parts I have laying everywhere? I'm hoping they're worth some money but I'm also hoping I don't have to list them individually on fleeBay. I will if I have to but I'm looking for alternatives.

​The engine is an 1979 OMC 140 with an OMC 400 sterndrive. Everything seemed to work with the exception of the speedometer. I have all wires, cables, dash components and the entire engine/stern drive intact. I don't know if the engine runs but it did turn over when I attempted to start it without fuel - so it's not locked up.

​Any advice?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Craigs, ebay and any other online sales sites.

I know more then 1 who sold off an OMC setup out of a junk boat and recouped some (all?) of their money.

And please remember iboats has a no sales in the open forum policy.

Good luck