1979 Johnson 70 hp over revving

ozarkt165

Seaman
Re: 1979 Johnson 70 hp over revving

With the 12 1/2 inch i tried out I only had a 1/2 inch clearance so best i can figure a 13 inch would be max for me. Must of been a little more room between 76 to 79 years

J.avant

Seaman

Got to take the boat out again Today. The tach. was 5500 and speed was 36 mph. I was at WOT at 6000 and the engine started acting like it was running out of gas. so I dropped back down to 5500 and it ran fine. Now I guess I'll have to trouble shoot the engine to see what is going on.

Does the rpm vs speed sound right?

Thanks,John

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 70 is of 76 vintage. 17p is what i assume i am running. measured tonight at 12 inches. I am getting 34 mph (gps) @ 5000rpm with my 340 lb a#$ not a tub o 6'4", got a beer belly and plenty of muscle ...... LOL Want to hit 5800 rpm.... hey 1kruzer1 what hull you running????????

Sorry, been away from the forum for a while. . .
I have a 16 ft Sylvan (Starcraft) Supersport aluminum. My usual load is 6 HP kicker, 12 gallons gas, me (300 pounds), wife (little over half of me), fishing gear and cooler. I run 33MPH on the GPS at exactly 5500RPM. Prop is a Solas Rubex3 13.5 X 15 pitch. I don't have power trim, and I run the pin in the second hole. The boat will run a little faster with the trim kicked up to the third hole, but it starts to porpose too easily, so I run with it down on 2.

ozarkt165

Seaman

If you were getting 34 mph at 5000rpm would you let it go, or try and prop it? Running ethanol free premium so i wouldnt think the recommended higher rpm would be such an issue, any thoughts?

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you were getting 34 mph at 5000rpm would you let it go, or try and prop it? Running ethanol free premium so i wouldnt think the recommended higher rpm would be such an issue, any thoughts?

Before the 15 pitch I tried the same prop with 17 inch pitch. Ran a hair over 5000 RPM at nearly identical top speed. Acceleration was noticably slower and more labored, especially with a heavier load. Switching to the 15 pitch added "spunk" to the boat and overall it's more fun to operate and accelerate. Top speed is virtually identical, which surprised me a little but I attribute that to both props keeping the motor running in its powereband at full speed. If you are maxing out at 5000RPM I'd definitely recommend trying a prop with 2 inches less pitch. I doubt it will impact your top speed much, and you'll probably notice the same performance improvements I did.

As to gasoline, I'm no expert, but it's not just ethanol in fuel that makes a difference. All gasolines are significantly re-formulated for lower emissions compared to fuels from yesteryear. In fact, you may be compounding the problem with premium octane fuel as opposed to regular. Our outboards are relatively low compression engines that run cooler than automotive engines. In this scenario premium fuel can actually create more deposits in the combustion chamber, not less, and accelerate their associated problems. If your outboard does not have issues with pre-ignition or detonation on regular fuel using premium gains you nothing and over the long term may actually be more harmful.

J.avant

Seaman

With the 12 1/2 inch i tried out I only had a 1/2 inch clearance so best i can figure a 13 inch would be max for me. Must of been a little more room between 76 to 79 years

Do you know if you have the small or large gear case?

John

ozarkt165

Seaman

had a yamaha dealer say the ethanol would eat through the aluminum since someone took a small rotary brush too the carbs. also heard if you didn't have alcohol resistent rubber it would eat everything..... Had a story on the local news the marinas were having engine troubles on rentals.... traced it to 10% ethanol fuel.

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

had a yamaha dealer say the ethanol would eat through the aluminum since someone took a small rotary brush too the carbs. also heard if you didn't have alcohol resistent rubber it would eat everything..... Had a story on the local news the marinas were having engine troubles on rentals.... traced it to 10% ethanol fuel.

Certainly agree with the rubber and gasket issue on older motors. Replacement parts are usually updated materials that are more alcohol tolerant. Since I have rebuilt all 3 carbs, replaced fuel lines and fuel pump on mine, I haven't been too worried about ethanol. I'm also one who runs the carbs dry when I won't be using the boat for a few days or more, so fuel doesn't just "sit" in the pump and carbs. My 10 year old snowmobiles have been running 10% ethanol since the day they were new (hard to escape the stuff here in Minnesota). I've never had any kind of fuel system problem with either of them. Not saying I'm a fan of ethanol, and I certainly don't like the discussion about going to a higher percentage of ethanol in gasoline. I've just never experienced much of a problem in any of my small engines because of it.