1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

Jayboat66

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

Nice, you are making a new boat!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

After see your project, I am thinking place vinyl on my boat. What kind of vinyl are you using? Where did you get the vinyl and glue?

It's "Alpha Vinyl". A quick google search will bring it up. It's thick (1/8"), and the glue is DAP Weldwood All Weather Outdoor Carpet Adhesive.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

After see your project, I am thinking place vinyl on my boat. What kind of vinyl are you using? Where did you get the vinyl and glue?

Defender still has the best prices (or close to the best) on marine vinyl.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Cut some carpet tonight. Obviously it needs to be trimmed up. I also have the aluminum trim (3/16 x 1) cut that will go around the perimeter of the floor.

null_zps4a8d8f23.jpg

null_zps2647c9c9.jpg

I think I'm going to need to recruit some help when it comes time to glue. I think an extra set of hands would be a big help.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Red paint and grey vinyl really looks good together. Nice work!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Today, with the help of my neighbor, I got the carpet glued to the hull. Turned out great! I've never done this before, but thanks to Budski for the tips. Started with the rear two since those were the easiest.

null_zpsbbee8d30.jpg

Then did the front two. Here's the glue (DAP All Weather Carpet Adhesive - solvent based) troweled on. It had enough tack to it that we could lay the carpet in it right away without the weight of the carpet falling down. Once it was roughly placed we could slide it around a little to get the ripples out. I didn't glue the bottom right down to the deck yet because I want to be able to pin the carpet up to get the vinyl down then finish the bottom edge of the carpet. The carpet is going to lay onto the deck vinyl by about an inch and then get a piece of trim around the perimeter.

null_zpscc136694.jpg

null_zps72af9b1a.jpg

null_zps22a2ceda.jpg

null_zps20cc9b4e.jpg

I still have to seam the two pieces together also, but that's behind the side panel so doesn't need to be perfect. This all went way better than expected. <sigh of relief>

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That looks super nice against the shiny red Dave!

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Looking really good Dave.

Triton II

Commander

Carpet looks terrific! Nice job mate! :)

TII

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Well I took the afternoon off today to lay some vinyl since its looking like the last warm day for probably a long time. First I tied the carpet up with wire to not be in the way then positioned the vinyl I had cut.

null_zpse9fd509c.jpg

Troweled on some adhesive...

null_zpse30b7231.jpg

And here we are now...

null_zps647983c5.jpg

When I went to cut the vinyl to the correct shape, I threw the whole big rectangle piece into the boat. Up in the bow it obviously was folded and bent. Well this put a few creases into it that wouldn't quite lay flat on their own, hence the weight that's on it now. I used a 75lb vinyl roller on the whole thing then installed all the perimeter trim and access ring and ski locker trim. It looked good. I shut the doors and windows and turned the heat on in the garage to 70. We then left for dinner cause its my wife's birthday. Came back a couple hours later and I had a couple air bubbles under the vinyl. I took an awl and poked them and pressed the vinyl back down and set some weight on then.

I'm 50/50 whether this is going to turn out. I don't have a great feeling that all is well between the vinyl and deck. I did do a test piece this morning before I started because I wanted to make sure I had the right size notch on my trowel. I did a test with the recommended size and it was obvious to me it was too small (3/32x3/32 v-notch). The adhesive got all soaked up into the backing. I then went up a size to 1/8x1/8x1/16 v-notch and this seemed a lot better. When I lifted the sample, there was adhesive on both sides. So that's the one I used. So, not sure if I have enough or if too much or if this combination of vinyl and adhesive over epoxy is compatible. Not sure cause I've never done it before. The recommended adhesive is latex based and from everything I've read it would never dry under vinyl. Maybe I should have used contact cement, I don't know. If I end up peeling this all up, the vinyl will be junk and carpet will be going down. Carpet is easy.

So now I sit and wait and worry.

It does look nice against the carpet though...

null_zps8ecf2805.jpg

Last edited:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Well, went and looked at it when I got up. Got a couple big air bubbles, like 12" diameter and a half inch tall.

null_zpseadf9464.jpg

So, looks like I have a big mess to deal with. This really blows. About 90% looks good, nice and flat. I'm baffled. Don't know what went wrong.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Get the roller out and start rolling those air bubbles to the edges, they will roll out now while the adhesive is still green. They won't when the adhesive cures.

If the air doesn't want to go out the edges, lift that hatch frame and roll it to there.

I had to roll the air bubbles out of some of my vinyl pieces for 3 or 4 days until the adhesive cured, checked them every morning and evening.

Last edited:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Get the roller out and start rolling those air bubbles to the edges, they will roll out now while the adhesive is still green. They won't when the adhesive cures.

If the air doesn't want to go out the edges, lift that hatch frame and roll it to there.

I had to roll the air bubbles out of some of my vinyl pieces for 3 or 4 days until the adhesive cured, checked them every morning and evening.

Yeah, I got rollers.

I think it's too late. It doesn't seem to stick when I push them back down. Plus I'm at work now.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I got rollers.

I think it's too late. It doesn't seem to stick when I push them back down. Plus I'm at work now.

It may not be too late, give it a go with the rollers when you get home. Bear down with all the weight you can on the roller when rolling it and keep rolling 'til the bubble is gone... and you may have to roll it again tomorrow.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Shoot! That musta been a shocker to wake up to that big ol air pocket. Rats....:blue:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

It may not be too late, give it a go with the rollers when you get home. Bear down with all the weight you can on the roller when rolling it and keep rolling 'til the bubble is gone... and you may have to roll it again tomorrow.

I hope you're right. I'll give it a try when I get home. Thanks.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

It's coming out. No way it was going to lay back down. #%^^**

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

It's out. I'll give an explanation later as to what I found. One step forward, three steps back...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Carpola - It was looking good too.

dozerII

Admiral

Sorry to see you having glue troubles DJ, you did so much research on the subject.