1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

For seaming the last two pieces of the deck. I found it. I reorganized my garage a while back so it took a while to go through boxes. Funny, cause I kept going to the tote it used to be in....

null_zpsb78a1b37.jpg

null_zpsb2633960.jpg

I mixed up too much epoxy...my pot is smoking again...right now...

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

My leftovers went from liquid to solid in like 30 seconds...smoke pouring off, hotter than heck...I've had it do that before once, wonder why? It's about 80 here and it's mixed exactly right....

null_zpsd42ba56a.jpg

Anyway, I'm getting excited, we are getting close to sticking some vinyl to the deck! One more quick trip over the deck with the sander....

jbcurt00

Staff member

Large volume, small container perhaps, but yep, once it starts, it goes QUICK, really really quick.....

In fact, if you often hold it by the lip of the mixing pot, and held it in your hand, or set it down while you feathered the epoxy along the edges, sitting on something or the heat from your hand could be enough to jump start the reaction and get it started.

Makes for much more interesting modern art sculpture when the mix pot deforms from the heat :facepalm:

Didn't someone else mention being unable to find a darn thing after a big push to get the tinny outta the garage, then doing a major cleanup & put everything back in it's place.

Seams look good.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Thinking out loud here....I'm going through in my head how to get the vinyl down on the deck and the carpet on the hull sides.

The vinyl I have for the floor is Alpha Pontoon Vinyl, it's 1/8" thick. I was originally thinking I would cut it a few inches larger than the deck and let it curl up the sides of the hull (like a bath-tub) and run some 5200 around the perimeter. Then the carpet would come down and overlap on top of that. I would also run a piece of aluminum flat stock around the deck perimeter to keep the vinyl down around the edges.

But, being the vinyl is thick I don't think this will work. I think it will be a pain installing because the vinyl is going to want to lift around the edges of the deck as the adhesive is setting up.

So, my next thought is to cut the vinyl the exact size of the deck and glue it down. Then do the carpet on the hull sides and let it come down onto the deck about an inch. Then install my aluminum flat stock around the perimeter sandwiching the carpet and vinyl to the floor.

Anyone see any problems I may run into? Or offer up any suggestions?

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Thinking out loud here....I'm going through in my head how to get the vinyl down on the deck and the carpet on the hull sides.
So, my next thought is to cut the vinyl the exact size of the deck and glue it down. Then do the carpet on the hull sides and let it come down onto the deck about an inch. Then install my aluminum flat stock around the perimeter sandwiching the carpet and vinyl to the floor.
Or offer up any suggestions?
Yup, scrap the carpet. Don't put anything into the construction that will not dry easily. The moisture trapped in a covered boat will promote mold & mildew and not just on the carpet. You can get it growing on things like PFD's and seats just because of the excessive humidity. - Grandad

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I like the contrasting look of my carpeted hull sides. I'd keep it off the floor though.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I like the contrasting look of my carpeted hull sides. I'd keep it off the floor though.

Yep, I always thought your interior looked sharp with the vinyl/carpet combo and aluminum trim...

Tonight I am planning on a final sanding of the deck, a good cleaning, and maybe even cut some vinyl!

Landof9000lakes

Seaman Apprentice

I might be crazy but in a boat that size I would have a full camp enclosure built and removable bow (or anywhere I suppose) cushions built......And I would camp in it.

Because of that I would go for things that would quiet the boat the most. Carpet everywhere, including the sides, would be my plan for that boat.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I know...it still looks the same...

null_zps09b382d8.jpg

...but it's now smooth and clean. I pulled it out into the driveway and took my leaf blower to it to get rid of all the dust. Then the sides and deck got an acetone wipe down. Didn't have time to unroll the vinyl.

Triton II

Commander

Looks great djp! Nice work mate.

TII

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't get over how nice that paint looks, I like EZs carpet vinyl combo as well.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Got the vinyl unrolled in the sun...

null_zps5c19ce2e.jpg

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Didn't get as far as I wanted yesterday. While cutting the vinyl, my utility knife slipped and, of course, went right into my middle finger on the other hand. So, I have a nice divot missing off the tip. I did manage NOT to get any blood on the boat. Here's where I got...

null_zps4ffd7bb9.jpg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

wow DJ! goes to show that even the experienced guys bleed :lol:

Hope the digit heals-up quickly!

That vinyl is a PERFECT match for your red. Awesome!

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Looking really great Dave.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Got the vinyl all trimmed up tonight. Need to find my knee pads...a lot of crawling around has taken its toll on my knees.

null_zps95569c2c.jpg

null_zps7ae693f9.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

looks great

the grey & red really work extremely well together...

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

No progress tonight, but, this Starcraft is now the only one I own (along with the FourWinns glasser). The little SC went to a new owner tonight. Three boats is really one too many. Not enough time to spread the love....

Jayboat66

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After see your project, I am thinking place vinyl on my boat. What kind of vinyl are you using? Where did you get the vinyl and glue?