1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

Yup, that's just about 20 miles sw of me and just a couple miles from my school. You shoulda hollared man, w coulda hanged up on that guy and talked smack about his glasser!
:crazy:

Last edited:

spinnerbaits

Cadet

Looks just like mine, better shape though. I will be courious to know how you tune it for your boat. Nice find!! when is your interior going to be done?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Looks just like mine, better shape though. I will be courious to know how you tune it for your boat. Nice find!! when is your interior going to be done?

Now that the weather has warmed up, I just need some time. I really think I can get the carpet and vinyl down in May sometime. I have a couple vacation days to burn before June 1.

spinnerbaits

Cadet

DJ,
Carpet and vinal? How are you doing the seating? I saw a photo with a bench seat under construction in the back is that your boat? I don't know where I saw it maybe a different posting. Are you redoing the seats the same as original or a totally new look? Mike

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

My interior will not be original looking. I have a lady working on new back to back seats. I haven't stared any other upholstery. I am putting a bench in the back and I reconfigured the back splash well panel to be removable to aid in getting off the back of the boat to a swim platform. I'm putting vinyl on the floor and carpet on the hull sides.

spinnerbaits

Cadet

DJ,
That's smart.Tthere is way too much room in the back not to have lounging or seating for more people leaving accessibility from the back is also necessary for swimmers. Looking forward to your completed project. Mike

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Alright. Haven't had much time lately to work on the boat. I've been in the process of getting the carpet glue off the inside of the hull for what seems like forever. I just couldn't find an easy way to do it. Anything that spins seems to just smear it and any type of chemical remover doesn't do much either. The other day I was doing some belt sanding on the deck and though...wonder if this thing would work. Put it up to the hull and "jogged" the trigger and instant bare metal. So I carefully went at it as to not put any heat into the hull (good paint on the other side). It's a big belt sander so it was very awkward. LAst night I picked up a smaller (lot lighter) one that even has variable speed. I'm thinking tonight I'm going to get a lot done. I really need to get this carpet and vinyl in...seem like the last big hurdle.

I'm going to wait a while on rehabbing the newer trailer. The tongue needs to be lengthened about 12" which will be pretty easy to do. I was able to get a new piece of 3x4" channel from work for $50.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Alright. Haven't had much time lately to work on the boat. I've been in the process of getting the carpet glue off the inside of the hull for what seems like forever. I just couldn't find an easy way to do it. Anything that spins seems to just smear it and any type of chemical remover doesn't do much either. The other day I was doing some belt sanding on the deck and though...wonder if this thing would work. Put it up to the hull and "jogged" the trigger and instant bare metal. So I carefully went at it as to not put any heat into the hull (good paint on the other side). It's a big belt sander so it was very awkward. LAst night I picked up a smaller (lot lighter) one that even has variable speed. I'm thinking tonight I'm going to get a lot done. I really need to get this carpet and vinyl in...seem like the last big hurdle.
dj, why are you so concerned with the old glue? Any new covering will have a texture to it anyway. I doubt there's any need to knock yourself out removing the old stuff. A bit like trying to remove all the old paint before repainting. If it's stuck, leave it and add more glue when you cover it. - Grandad

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

dj, why are you so concerned with the old glue? Any new covering will have a texture to it anyway. I doubt there's any need to knock yourself out removing the old stuff. A bit like trying to remove all the old paint before repainting. If it's stuck, leave it and add more glue when you cover it. - Grandad

Oh it's stuck alright. You make a good point about leaving it, it just seems like everyone takes it off. Maybe i'll do a small test spot over the old glue to make myself feel better about leaving it. Thanks.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thomer i sent you a PM

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class

DJ, what kind of paint did you use and how did you get that great shine?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

DJ, what kind of paint did you use and how did you get that great shine?

The bottom from the chine down has a single part industrial enamel on it. The sides and top have a two part base/clear. I had it done at an auto/custom restoration shop.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Looks great!

Thanks, hopefully the interior will match the quality of the paint.

Spent today doing a lot of sanding on the inner hull (carpet glue/paint overspray removal). If the amount of sanding it takes to remove overspray is any indication of the paint adhesion on the hull, i don't have anything to worry about. Got pretty much the starboard side all clean ready for carpet.

Also made a new block that goes on the inside of the bow eye, and did some work to the two deck pieces that go under the splash well. I scored 4 hatches on ebay a while ago and put them in those two pieces. That way i'll be able peak down below in between the stringers at the rear. I'll post up some pics tomorrow....

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh boy; Am anxiously awaiting pics Dave.:popcorn:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Nothing to update on the boat, but we've been in Florida for the past week (Disney), and are also spending a week on Sanibel Island. The other day I got a FB message from CheapboatKev inviting us to his new place today for a BBQ, swimming, and some dock fishing as he was only 30 minutes away from us. A good time was had by all! Kev and I started the fishing...

null_zps9714fc45.jpg

Once he caught one...

null_zps56079739.jpg

The rest of the families wanted some of the action...

null_zps0d815f47.jpg

My older daughter caught the next one...

null_zps7bca9f40.jpg

Then the fish dissappeared, but my youngest was still having a ball casting...

null_zps6ec6222f.jpg

So, a big thanks to Kev and his family for a great afternoon. If your in the Fort Meyers area and get an invite to Kev's (many have) you will eat well! Oh, and he's not a psycho :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess you had the pleasure of christening the drink cart. :joyous:

It's good to know Kev is "not a psycho"! :watermelon:

Sounds like you guys and gal had a good time.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Lol, was glad to have Dave's family over, lots of fun but wish the SS was ready for ya.

spinnerbaits

Cadet

Hi DJ,
I hope all is going fantastic with you and your 22 v5. We were on the same wavelength about trailer style of the StarCraft 22'. Mine came with a roller and I picked up a Calkins which fits my boat perfectly. The reason for this note is to let you know that I have been told that rollers are intended to be used on riveted hulls. I have been told that the rollers cause the rivets to pop and the aluminum to wrinkle. An old timer on your side of town that restores old boat was telling me this and I also heard that StarCraft would not warranty the hull if rollers instead of bunks were used. Man I am glad to learned of this now because next week I was going to have the Calkins blasted for paint. I have not read anything yet but it makes sense that the bunk would give much better support and I am going that route. Let me know what you hear man. Love your boat and hope to sort this out, don't want to mess up the current condition of mine and especially a fresh restore. Mike

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Two and a half years later....

null_zpsfdc258c8.jpg

null_zpsc6bbe48b.jpg

Very happy with them! I need to get some flooring down now...