1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

sprintst

Commander
Thanks! Long time no see! How you been?

Really good. Reverse enginereed the boat top in Sunbrella and haven't taken it out this year yet. Still have to pickup my engine cover at the upholsterers and bolt it in. NExt year will be a dash redo with gauges :)

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Well I stuck one on tonight. Directions say if less than 3" tall they can go on dry. I was very careful, but, ended up with a bunch of small bubbles that wouldn't flatten out. So, I peeled it off and will try again tomorrow with the other decal trying the wet application method. I'll have to order another decal.

Here's what it looked like...

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Looks great, hard to tell their decals, they look like the originals.

Decker83

Commander
The decal looks fantastic.. I want to polish the sides on mine, but looking at the paint job you have makes it hard for me not to paint.. Looks great..

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Had a little time tonight and got the carpet seams trimmed. Should get them finish glued this weekend and get the consoles back in.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You're getting there, DJ. Consoles back in, a milk crate and you can make motorboat sounds! LOL

This is going to be one sharp SS!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Lookin pretty snazzy up in there dj!! :thumb:

I cant wait to see that massive V5 screaming through the chop!! :madgrin: It will be an awesome sight! This tantric tin-building is only elevating the suspense! :lol:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
The carpet is all glued down!!! Glad to be done with that. The seams aren't perfect, but came out ok. The forward half has a couple inches where the upper overlaps the lower. I'll get some double sided carpet tape and put under there and it should lay a lot flatter.

Tomorrow the consoles will go in, I'll put the ski locker trim and the other floor hatches in and maybe, just maybe, put the windshield on!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Didn't get quite as much time as I wanted, but did get the carpet overlap finished off with double sided seam tape, got the consoles in, and the drivers windshield set with foam tape under it.

I've noticed since I've been back on the forum, there is not near the traffic on the resto page as there used to be. Seems some days the first page barely gets all new posts. Anyone know why?

GA_Boater

Winter is the prime resto time. After everyone buys a new to them boat and uses it for a season, they start finding the problems to fix. The motor forums are running strong this time of year.

jbcurt00

Staff member
IMO, its the middle of the season and motor questions are much more prevalent these days.

There doesnt seem to be as many guys sticking around after they finish a project either.

I havent heard our recent traffic #s lately, but thru spring and beginning of the season, #s were up from a year ago

Boat is looking great.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Windshield on and lined up pretty well. There's a little play in the hinge which causes some sag on the center piece, but, it's not bad. I'm the only one that it will drive nuts...

GA_Boater

I see the temporary helm seat is in place. Been making those sounds? :smile:

Mine has hinge wear, too. I haven't figured out how to tighten it up. So like you, only I know it.

dozerII

Admiral
She is coming together real nice DJ, I had the same problem with the hinge being loose on my Holiday windshield. I used a couple pieces of 1/8 aluminum on either side of the hinge to protect it and squeezed it tighter with vice grips which got rid of 90% of the play.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
I see the temporary helm seat is in place. Been making those sounds? :smile:

Mine has hinge wear, too. I haven't figured out how to tighten it up. So like you, only I know it.

I was wondering if you'd notice the bucket!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
She is coming together real nice DJ, I had the same problem with the hinge being loose on my Holiday windshield. I used a couple pieces of 1/8 aluminum on either side of the hinge to protect it and squeezed it tighter with vice grips which got rid of 90% of the play.

I was wondering if that would be possible. I'll give that a try, thanks.

Dozer...check your Pm's please.....

GA_Boater

I was wondering if you'd notice the bucket!

Of course - A true sign of progress, DJ.

I was thinking of squeezing the hinge like Dozer did, but I was concerned about cracking the thing. Maybe I'll try a little caress.