1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

64osby

Admiral
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

dj - Boat looks FANTASTIC:rockon:

Trailer looks like it needs a coat of that nice red.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Nice paint job. Me likey.:photo::watermelon::joyous::thumb::cheerful::hail:

The new emoticons are...well some are just weird.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Paint is absolutely stunning. Should be able to splash in the spring eh!

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

:shocked: That...is...awesome! :D wow looks amazing! Wish mine looked like that! Congrats on the brand new hull now!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

omg.gif

Thanks!

Awesome!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Thanks!

Worth waiting for, DJ. She is off the charts. Simply magnificent!

Thanks!

Soooooooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

WOW DJ, super paint job. One of the nicest if not the nicest origional colors scemes.

Thanks! Now to put an interior in worthy of the outside! I'm watching you!

It looks fantastic dj !!!

Now get back to work. You've had your week off now. - Grandad ;)

Thanks! No week off, cleaning the garage was more work....and not fun.

Really nice, looks great. Your design on the sides are nice 'n sporty too, a good choice.

Thanks! It's just the way Starcraft intended it to be. I think it's their best look!

She looks terrific DJ, congratulations! :)

TII

Thanks!

WOW!! Looks like someone parked a new hull in your driveway.. That is the best I've seen on the paint job...
What ever you paid the painter. it wasn't enough.

Thanks, and yes, it was enough!

dj - Boat looks FANTASTIC

Trailer looks like it needs a coat of that nice red.

I agree, unfortunately the wife doesn't think so. (At least right now).

Nice paint job. Me likey.

The new emoticons are...well some are just weird.

I agree again. Thanks!

Paint is absolutely stunning. Should be able to splash in the spring eh!

Thanks! I sure hope so, or at least summer!

That...is...awesome! :D wow looks amazing! Wish mine looked like that! Congrats on the brand new hull now!

Thanks! Haven't seen you in a while.....

So, now what.......

I need some flooring, been watching dozerII. I think I'm on the vinyl floor bandwagon again, and am not thrilled with seams being I'm more than 72" wide also. There are a few that come 8'6" wide but they are more pricey and the color choices are either grey or tan. I'm kinda thinking tan....maybe. I think it would look good with the red and white I have, but then what to put on the hull sides? Tan carpet? I could go grey floor and a grey carpet on the sides but I don't know, I think the tan might look nice too...and a little different? I'm not set to make any decision yet. Still researching!! Input welcomed!

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I think I'm on the vinyl floor bandwagon again, and am not thrilled with seams being I'm more than 72" wide also. There are a few that come 8'6" wide but they are more pricey and the color choices are either grey or tan. I'm kinda thinking tan....maybe. I think it would look good with the red and white I have, but then what to put on the hull sides? Tan carpet? Still researching!! Input welcomed!
Hi dj, I'm surprised to hear that your floor is more than 72". Are you certain? My 21' Holiday has near vertical walls on a relatively wide beam and I still had to trim my 72" Nautolex. What does it measure? I wouldn't put carpet even in the side pockets. It's just another place for moisture and humidity to hide causing mold and mildew when the boat is covered. - Grandad

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Hi dj, I'm surprised to hear that your floor is more than 72". Are you certain? My 21' Holiday has near vertical walls on a relatively wide beam and I still had to trim my 72" Nautolex. What does it measure? I wouldn't put carpet even in the side pockets. It's just another place for moisture and humidity to hide causing mold and mildew when the boat is covered. - Grandad

Yeah, positive. I know I tape measured it (can't remember the real numbers) and I'm wider than the 74" that the Nautolex comes. I know it was roughly 4-5 inches short per side and that was to where the side panels sit, so there's another 6-8" beyond that to the hull side.

Everything i've read has said the vinyl flooring doesn't work well on hull sides and I would prefer carpet on the hull sides up front for the bow seating.

I don't fish, so this is just going to be a fair weather boat to go cruising, tubeing, and maybe skiing. It won't sit out uncovered at all.

dozerII

Admiral

Yeah, positive. I know I tape measured it (can't remember the real numbers) and I'm wider than the 74" that the Nautolex comes. I know it was roughly 4-5 inches short per side and that was to where the side panels sit, so there's another 6-8" beyond that to the hull side.

Everything i've read has said the vinyl flooring doesn't work well on hull sides and I would prefer carpet on the hull sides up front for the bow seating.

I don't fish, so this is just going to be a fair weather boat to go cruising, tubeing, and maybe skiing. It won't sit out uncovered at all.

Hey DJ, I have used the vinyl on the hull sides on all the SC I have done, and never had a problem. This time I am using spray 90 and it is way better than the previous glues I used.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I hadn't heard there was a problem with using it on the sides. That's what the Starcraft elves used on mine that lasted 39 years. I'm sure it all depends upon your adhesive. I used 3M 80 spray on one side only because it was so expensive and didn't go very far. On the other side, I used Ducan Dekmaster (from Home Despot), which is what I used for the rest of the floor since I couldn't find Nautolex 88 adhesive up here in the frozen wastelands. It's only been on there a year and a half, but there's been no issue so far. Whatever you install, make sure that the top edge of the material is properly glued so it doesn't start to curl down from the top. - Grandad

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I have a bunch of vinyl floor and carpet samples on the way. More than likely the deck will be grey vinyl and the sides will be grey carpet. Mot sure what exact glue i'll use, but it will be solvent based not water (latex) based. Thats the conclusion I have come to from my research. The vinyl will set me back $400-$500, the carpet $200-$250 and whatever in glue. More expensive than what I thought this step would be. Should look nice and hold up well though.

sprintst

Commander

Sweet. Looks like a mirror finish.

manny91979

Seaman Apprentice

New gas filler made for $45. I'll grind the welds, soften the edges and powder coat it black. The original plastic one is very brittle and cracked.

7C3F7DF6-8293-4376-B6B3-426D7C7ED0A6-639-000000C3EF0A28D2.jpg

Hi DJ. Great work on the boat so far. Do you think you could put me in touch with the person that made that filler for you? My boat uses the exact same one and it is broken in half. I am having a heck of a time trying to find an off the shelf solution. Thanks.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Hi DJ. Great work on the boat so far. Do you think you could put me in touch with the person that made that filler for you? My boat uses the exact same one and it is broken in half. I am having a heck of a time trying to find an off the shelf solution. Thanks.

Manny, I replied on your thread.

dozerII

Admiral

What's happening DJ, I had to go back almost a month to find your thread?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

What's happening DJ, I had to go back almost a month to find your thread?

Not much happening. Taking a little break, my wife is a teacher so been spending time with family while they are all on Chtistmas break.

Flooring is next. I have some "Alpha" vinyl picked out for the deck and carpet picked out for the hull sides. From what I've read, i want to use a solvent based outdoor carpet glue, not a latex because under vinyl and over epoxy it won't set up. I don't want to do contact cement because one try is all you get, it's instant stick or instant screw up. I have a quart of Dap Weldwood Outdoor Carpet adhesive on order from Amazon to test out on a couple swatches. The solvent stuff if kind of hard to find. I'm not sure I'll be able to use it in my garage as its pretty nasty stuff. So i may need to hope for good weather and dry roads to take it to where I work to install. Once I can get the flooring in I think the rest will go pretty smooth.

dozerII

Admiral

Hey DJ. I have found the best way to lay the flooring down is to pre fit it exactly where you want it then put heavy weights, ( batteries, etc) on one half, length or width wise which ever works the best. Pull back the free side glue and secure it then do the other side.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Man DJ I had to wait all day to reply to this thread I can't believe I missed! so I could read the whole thing. But all I can say is I know now my next rig will be a SS. That paint is off the hook and the prep you put into the fab of this girl was top notch plus I have noticed that you have to learn one thing it is a priority to give JAS a hard time whenever possible it motivates him! Can't wait to see all the hardware being put back on. Keep up the good work!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Man DJ I had to wait all day to reply to this thread I can't believe I missed! so I could read the whole thing. But all I can say is I know now my next rig will be a SS. That paint is off the hook and the prep you put into the fab of this girl was top notch plus I have noticed that you have to learn one thing it is a priority to give JAS a hard time whenever possible it motivates him! Can't wait to see all the hardware being put back on. Keep up the good work!

Thank You fat fanny! I'm hopeful that progress will start again shortly....

I don't think anyone knows what motivates him. He'll beat me by a year, and do a couple smaller boats as well.

Triton II

Commander

And the threat the mob will turn on him! :evil:

TII