1979 21ft. Starcraft Mariner- no choice now- restoration

matrob

Cadet
Some of you may have noticed my "maiden voyage" post in the Starcraft thread. It has a 1979 mercury 150 and we've added a 2000 evinrude 9.9 4 stroke kicker. I've decided on a restoration of everything except the exterior paint. I will post a few pics of what I'm working with before the project and where I'm at now, but the attachments aren't working today.

The plan:
New transom and floor with 3:1 epoxy from US Composites
Gluvit rivets and seams
Pink Styrofoam insulation
Rustoleum basement floor epoxy on the floor

I also would like input on moving the fuel tank and potentially adding rod lockers.
Thanks guys.

matrob

Cadet
Re: 1979 21ft. Starcraft Mariner- no choice now- restoration

GEDC0177.jpgGEDC0183.jpg
These are from last fall before the problems surfaced.

matrob

Cadet

Here are some initial destruction photos. The transom was quite bad on the port side, allowing water in through the splash well. Seeing as the floor was in need of help, I just gutted everything. Thankfully, this was pre-pour in foam era.GEDC0188.jpgGEDC0189.jpgGEDC0196.jpgGEDC0197.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Okeedokee, let's do this! Starcraft being rebuilt, cool!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Who you callin a "Dokee!!!!" :p

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Nice looking boat! I'm almost thinking if I replaced a boat (ya I know I need to finish atleast one of them) it might have to be one of these big CCs. I'm really liking the looks of them.

matrob

Cadet

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I hope this suits my needs when I'm done. Hopefully it should be good for another 30 years. Today I cut the floor panels and plan on laying them in for fitting tomorrow if the wind lets up. Hopefully some of you can give me a few tips on ideas I've had.
Between the stringers I thought I could put a small storage compartment in the front. I'd like to move the fuel tank, but it won't fit and I'm not in the market for a new one. Maybe a few 5gallon tanks could fit? I'll measure tomorrow, but let me know if this is a bad idea.
Any thoughts on designing rod lockers for the side panels? Should I rebuild the captains chair into a storage console double wide seat the same width as the center console? I know trying to fish last week, I could have used more room for setting up rods, but I'm new at trolling, not used to the boat and we had other things(water running in) on our minds. Maybe extra storage would help eliminate clutter and provide more floor space, or will it just take up more fishing space? Any opinions will be appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You're moving along, matrob. Cleaned out and test fitting floors - good start. You ought to be on the water in short order dancing in the ball room. I can't help with the fuel tanks, but I have an idea for the seating. I see cooler seats on CL all the time. the type with the flip back rest like this. That one is $400 but I see them for $1-200 all the time. Gives you seating and a cooler. Build a storage box in front of the CC with a pad - more seating.

For rods you could put something like this on the sides of the CC to keep rods out of the way.

Just tossing ideas for you to chew on. A CC is a fishing machine first so there are a lot of things to keep her tidy and functional.

matrob

Cadet

Thanks for the tips GA boater. Very similar thoughts to what I had. My concern with the cooler seat is cleaning it. Would I be better off building something that I can slide a cooler under? I saw some of those rod holders at a garage sale last spring and passed them up. I've been kicking myself since. Thanks for the help.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

For the seat/cooler you could always plumb in a drain for it.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Keep an eye on my Islander thread as I am installing a fish box shortly - may help with brain storming.:)

matrob

Cadet

I've been watching JAS. Your islander looks great. I don't know if I could have cut that cooler up. The one I want to use in my boat would be too wide for a permanent installation. But a smaller one permanently installed for beverages might be a nice touch. Keep up the great work.