1978 Starcraft Holiday 18 Rebirth

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1978 Starcraft Holiday 18 Rebirth

She looks purty floating. So happy it went to a good home!

Did the cavitation stop now that the TNT is hooked up and how does that 70 push it?

She looks purty floating. So happy it went to a good home!

Did the cavitation stop now that the TNT is hooked up and how does that 70 push it?

Yes the cavitation went away now that the TNT is hooked up. It may have been the motor was trimmed up slightly causing the cavitation. We launched it today for a few hours. This time we remembered the hand held gps. I never ran it wide open but did get on plane easy and hit 30mph a few times. There was still some throttle left. I am not sure how much though. 30mph by gps is fine with me. I messed with the fish finder and the transducer was clicking like it should. So we tried it again and it found bottom for a moment then would say no transducer found. I give up on that transducer. I have another one on the small boat I pulled already and will install it tommorow. I found two small drift socks in the little boat and brought them with us today. we could get the speed down to 1.8 2.0 by gps. That made me happy. the sea bags are easy to use. Might even try a little bigger bags to see what happens. We trolled for an hour or so today and caught a 20" pike and had another big one on that bit the line. He gone. lol.
Hope to launch one more time before the weekend the weekend will be for deer hunting. Time to shoot some does for the freezer. Then the plan is to be ready to launch on lk erie or detroit river to go perch and walleye fishing.

A little update. I have been working on the dash slowly. I am using sheet aluminum that I had. It's atleast 1/8". I'm covering the wood steering consel and the passenger side. In the pic you can see one solid piece of aluminum that is attached to each gunnel. It really made that area rigid. I also added a pan/shelf that is very useful. we have had the boat out 6 times now including one trip to erie. the shelf comes in handy. The boat handled lk Erie's 2 to 4'ers nicely. We ran 15 miles and used about 3 gallons of gas.

Charlie are you ready to go? Perch are starting to go on erie and det river.

dozerII

Admiral

Looking real good, nice fish too.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I just want it to be clear that Charlie, CBGale2 started and did 85% of the restoration. I want credit to go where it is due. I have to finish the dash and deal with the seats and windshield. Just a bunch of odds and ends. I want to ad a bowmount trolling motor to it. It may be tricky but I have a few ideas to run one from the boat while keeping the integrity of the Holiday closed bow. Anybody ever see a closed bow boat with a bow mount troller?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Anybody ever see a closed bow boat with a bow mount troller?

I haven't, but have been kicking the same idea around. I think it's doable as long as the foot control cable is long enough. Of course there is the wireless copilot as an option, just pricey.

I haven't, but have been kicking the same idea around. I think it's doable as long as the foot control cable is long enough. Of course there is the wireless copilot as an option, just pricey.

There is also electric models that have 18' long wires run for the foot peddle. My biggest issue is raising and lowering the unit in the water. I have some ideas I just need to spend some time looking over the shafts and motors.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Definitely need a long shaft on the troller. I figure with a walk thru W/S I can drop it in and pull it out as long as the prop gets deep enough to work.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I've got plans to cut a trolling motor shaft DOWN to fit my little plywood kanoe, so if you can shorten a trolling motor shaft, I suppose you could lengthen 1.....

Probably have to go thicker wall or larger ID/OD tubing to take the force of the longer shaft acting like a longer lever though.......

sprintst

Commander

Great looking boat. Keep us updated on the dash work so I can steal ideas :)