F$%&$ earthquake

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great, we just got hit here in Ottawa by a earthquake, and I just got a call from the fellow storing my boat that it has slipped off it's blocks and is lying on the ground. How does one go about lifting a 28 foot boat? Can I put some car jacks underneath it or will that crush the wood

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: F$%&$ earthquake

sorry bout that bud,,,,,,,i looking at the news for the earth quake but dont see it yet.

forklift. then slowly work its way back to the blocks by blocking each end moving it from bow to stern.

you can do it with big floor jacks.....but they have to be heavy duty as a 5000 lb boat will be too heavy for the jack.

roll the boat til it is sitting level protecting the gellcoat and brace the bow so it cannot roll over.

place jack under transom...lift a little bit....block....do other side....block till you can get under the v of the transom....then inch by inch lift bow...(place jack under a bulkhead) and inch by inch lift it....blocking and bracing every step of the way.

you can use a tow truck on the stern eye hooks. and lift ( again blocking the bow and bracing against a roll over. then do the same form the bow eye. but only lift a little at a bit....so if it does drop or roll....it is only a little and you can stop it before it really causes damage.

good luck and sorry to hear.
oops

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sadly it's a wooden boat, and there's no hooks anywhere. If I bought a 5000 lb rated winch strap, is that ok to use as a sling on a forklift? I am pretty sure the fellow has one in the yard.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

im just seeing it on cbc now.

a sling will work if the forklift can get the vertical height.

make sure that you tie off the bow of the boat as it could slip out of the sling....

the woodie will have advantages over glass as there are more bulkheads to put the sling under.

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tip, I didn't think of putting the sling under the bulkheads. I'd better head over and investigate.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

when you get it back in the water....check how often the bilge pump comes on....you might have to have it re corked

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Argh things are still shaking a little bit, i'd better stay home and look after the house till it's over. I'll get some pics of the boat when i go. I haven't even gotten it in the water yet, I just bought it a month ago to restore, I was going to have marine movers bring it to my house next week.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

dont wanna make light of a bad situation and i really wish you and yours safety.

but if you would have had your boat in the water and been on it sucking back beers....you wouldnt have even felt the quake !,,,,,lol.....:D:D:D

wish you all the best bud....be safe

ward

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those bags are cool! Later on I'll go see how the boat looks and maybe they'll work for me. And thanks for the kind words Oops, I think things should be fine, there's been a couple little shakes here and there. When the first one hit my mom was screaming running out of the house and yelling at me to leave as I'm standing there holding on to her prized china cabinet. Good thing too, the doors would have opened and everything would have broke. I feel safe standing in a house I built, even in an earthquake :) Quite an exciting day! Did anybody else feel anything? News said it made it into the states some places.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Those bags are cool! Later on I'll go see how the boat looks and maybe they'll work for me. And thanks for the kind words Oops, I think things should be fine, there's been a couple little shakes here and there. When the first one hit my mom was screaming running out of the house and yelling at me to leave as I'm standing there holding on to her prized china cabinet. Good thing too, the doors would have opened and everything would have broke. I feel safe standing in a house I built, even in an earthquake :) Quite an exciting day! Did anybody else feel anything? News said it made it into the states some places.

It was about 60kms north of Ottawa, registered 5.5. Was reportedly felt South towards Toronto, northern Vermont, and East towards Montreal.

but if you would have had your boat in the water and been on it sucking back beers....you wouldnt have even felt the quake !,,,,,lol.....:D:D:D

wish you all the best bud....be safe

ward

Ward, that's hilarious. I work on the 8th floor and they evacuated us (I'm also in Ottawa) and while standing outside I said to a co-worker, "if we were sitting in the boat having a beer right now, we wouldn't have felt it":D:D

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hah, well I never thought of having an earthquake here, but now I'm considering moving onto the boat for safety! lol Where do you work in Ottawa? Government? My girlfriend just got evacuated from her government building right across the river in Hull. I guess it's closed until engineers go in and inspect things.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Truck tire tubes will help.

If you sling it be sure to put a brace across the top of the sling so it does not crush.

Okay..... whatever you Canadians did was felt here in VT .....that will be enough of that rough-housing !!! Glad no one was hurt ...ey :D

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

You mean to place truck tires between the sling and the boat?

bananaboater

Ensign

Having the earth shake under my feet from a quake is one event I can hopefully go to my grave without ever experiencing. Unfortunately I live on the fringe of the New Madrid Fault line. That is the one that in the 1800's had a quake so fierce it made the Mississippi flow backwards for a time. If you were on a boat then you would have felt that one regardless of how many beers you had.

Fingers crossed...:confused:

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having the earth shake under my feet from a quake is one event I can hopefully go to my grave without ever experiencing. Unfortunately I live on the fringe of the New Madrid Fault line. That is the one that in the 1800's had a quake so fierce it made the Mississippi flow backwards for a time. If you were on a boat then you would have felt that one regardless of how many beers you had.

Fingers crossed...:confused:

If the world were coming to an end, I'd rather die happy on my boat though :)

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Hah, well I never thought of having an earthquake here, but now I'm considering moving onto the boat for safety! lol Where do you work in Ottawa? Government? My girlfriend just got evacuated from her government building right across the river in Hull. I guess it's closed until engineers go in and inspect things.

No, private company out in Gloucester... They sent us back in after 30 mins. Not sure what they did to inspect it. Was crazy looking out my office window as the tower next to us was shaking, yet two guys with ropes cleaning windows, dropped their lines over the side and proceeded to clean the office windows so it obviously didn't bother them much.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Truck inner tubes will lift the boat off it's hull and provide room to get slings under it.

A good source of a sling would be an "off-road" recovery strap they come in lengths up to 30' and can handle the load.

Where the sling is at the top of the hull a 4x4 board is needed like a spreader bar
14313_208_1.jpg

similar to the braces above the load

You only need lift the stern first and get the blocks back under it then the bow

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok thanks alot for the tips. I haven't felt any more shakes so I'm going to head over to investigate and see what we can do.