1978 sea sprite 16.5 sea hawk tri haul restoration/upgrades

salamonieryan

Recruit
hello everyone,
I'm new to posting on this site, I posted on apachepopups.net when i restored our 1978 war eagle apache popup.
Now i have a 1978 sea sprite with the "iron duke" inline 4 cyl chevy engine that I plan on making many upgrades and repairs to this late winter and spring. This summer we plan on renting a house boat on lake cumberland for a week and my small boat is not ready for such big water. One of the biggest problems I have is runing out of gas the fuel gage does not work and the tank is small. After looking online at overtons.com and reading many boat restoration stories I've decided that i can put a fuel tank under the floor centraly located. The present tank is mounted on the left side of the boat on top of the floor behind a seat it is a 12 gallon tank and only runs the boat 6 -8 hard hours.
My first question is how big of a tank can I install?
Second question is should the tank be glassed in or will the strap kits that is sold with the tanks work?
Third question wouldn't moving the weight of the fuel under the deck help boat handling?
Some of the other things the boat needs done are the shift/speed cable is sloppy. the tilt trim does not hold its postion. several wires are dry roted and must be replaced. the vacum advance has been unhooked.
Some of the things we want to do. install a larger fuel tank, new seats, build a new engine cover, build in a under the floor storage area if i can after the fuel tank. install a stero and speakers. build a custom dash board with all new gages, have a mooring cover made and eltronic ingtion.
I know thats a long expensive list the boat cost me $1750 and i figure on 1500 to make her the way I want. We want to take her to lake cumberland but it would be nice to be able to hold about 25-30 gallons of fuel so we do not have to buy fuel daily on the lake. I also Dont want to look like the redneck with a boat or have mechanical trouble on vacation. any and all help and advice will be greatly apericated

Thanks

Ryan