1978 Johnson 115 Electric Choke

phx5kegsman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, the new remote control (BRP5006180) that I installed doesn't appear to have a way to operate the motor's electric choke. On the old controller you'd push the key in to operate the choke. Would it be possible to wire the choke to a toggle or momentary switch? ANY ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It states that this control has an ignition switch that you push in to prime.

phx5kegsman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, then it must be the wiring. This was a real PITA to wire up to my old motor. I suppose the primer could be bad. There is only one wire (purple/white) to it. Will it hurt the solenoid to put battery voltage to it to test? The factory manual only covers adjustment. Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???------There is one wire going to the choke solenoid.----Use a jumper wire and put 12 volts to the solenoid.-----It should click and pull the choke on.---Also make sure that choke is not in the fully on ( manual lever ) position now.

phx5kegsman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I put 12V to the coke solenoid and it worked. Then I unplugged the wiring harness from the remote control, put 12v to the connector pin purple/white wire, and the choke solenoid actuated. plugged the remote control in and pushed ignition key in.....nothing! Also not working: warning horn. Any thoughts?

tphoyt

Ensign
Test your switch. If it checks out look for a blown fuse or damaged wires.