1977 Sylvan Sea Monster Side Console Rebuild

oldrem

Commander
The new internal parts arrived for the controls, so finished the assembly except for the cables. Not going to install those until I put it in next spring. Also picked up some new cable ends for the outboard end as the old ones were bent and one was broken.

Controls.jpg

oldrem

Commander
Definitely have to get off my duff now and clean up the workshop. My two new graphite rod blanks and related parts arrived this afternoon. Want to get these built up before the boat is done.

Graphite rods.jpg

oldrem

Commander
I did manage to clean up my workshop over the weekend so I'll be able to wrap the 2 new rods on the bench.

Got a jump start today, but my batch of epoxy setup before I could get the seat installed on the second rod. :mad-new:

reel seats and grips.jpgepoxy set.jpg

zool

Captain
lol, you can just tell when its about to happen, you feel the pail starting to heat up and there aint nuttin you can do to stop it from there...makes a good hockey puck tho ;)

oldrem

Commander
The jury is still out on whether or not I like the Prowrap Fusion variegated thread I'm using for the smaller rod. I've wrapped a lot over the years, but this was the first time using thread this slippery. The first 2 wraps unraveled while using the burnishing tool, so had to start over and be more gentle.

The first 8 wraps are done now so I decided to try out one of the new motorized rod turners I made last winter and apply the clear coat. Just have to do the tip top after this once I get the right ones. I ordered wrong the first time and the seller shipped wrong the second time.

Rod turner 1.jpgRod turner 2.jpgRod turner 3.jpg

oldrem

Commander
I wanted to try a base wrap on the 2nd rod and had designed a diamond pattern wrap last Winter. This is the progression so far with the first 28 threads - roughly 1/3 of the way so far. Have to finish packing the last 8 before I can continue.

Dragon 6 threads.jpgDragon 12 threads.jpgDragon 20 threads.jpgDragon 28 threads.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Shut the door! That looks awesome Eric! What fish wouldn't want to be on that rod!:cool:

oldrem

Commander
Thanks guys - I think I enjoy building them as much as I do using them. I have 5 more blanks coming to do after these two are done. 4 of my builds are going away as gifts. Might even do one for the admiral, although she doesn't care what she fishes with as long as she gets to fish with me lol

oldrem

Commander
Laid another 24 threads last night. After a few hours my eyes feel like they're going to pop out, but getting close to the finish now. Wish I'd picked a darker gray though, this one almost looks white.

Dragon 52 threads 2.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You're work looks solid and perfectly done. Although the camera date is in a time warp :lol: