1977 Glastron deck and stringers.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer
Aft deck and stringer wood mush. After removing the deck, I am left with good fiberglass over mush inside for the stringers. I've researched here and other forums and other than removing the whole stringer form down to hull and starting from scratch, can I cut the top off and clean the inside with pressure cleaner and slip a new coated wood stringer into the shell. I figure to bed it into resin and then glass over the top with mat. I gotta believe someone has tried this short cut before and would appreciate your thoughts.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm don't think so. This has been asked many times here on the forum and to my knowledge NEVER been signed off on as being a good idea. I'm not saying it's never been done, just never been recommended. The stringers are a critical structural aspect of the hull. What you're proposing will not allow them to do the job they're intended to do. But then again, it's your boat and you can do with it as you see fit. It's just not the recommended way to do it.

We don't rip it all down to the hull and do all that nasty grinding etc... because we WANT too!!! We do it because it's necessary to do the job right!!!!

Your boat...Your decision!!;)

tpenfield

Staff member
Not worth it IMO. It is like spending a quarter to save a nickel.

Mark72233

Ensign
I agree with Wood and tpenfield. The strength of the bulkheads, stringers and transom come from more then just wood being encapsulated in fiberglass. The wood becomes part of the hull by being attached to the hull via the PB, resin, clothe. All of it being joined together making one unit. There is a tremendous amount of strength that comes from the wood being attached everywhere to the clothe. Just putting wood into a fiberglass box and sealing the top would have no where near the strength that will come from building it all new from the fiberglass hull up. If I took your version of a stringer versus ours I bet I can move yours left to right with little effort. I sat down on my hull and pushed on mine with both feet trying to test its strength. It didn't move at all. Just my opinion and like Wood said its your boat. This is based on all of my 6 months fiberglassing experience though. :joyous:

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for all your help, I took a good hard look at the hull today and the general deterioration of the cap and gel coat and make the ole kill or cure decision. Think I will look for another boat.