1977 16ft SC Holiday re-do

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Wow! Great work you've done and that new Merc sounds awesome. Congrats on the successful splash :peace:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Congratulations on a great loooking boat. That new Merc sure is sweet too.:encouragement:

Decker83

Commander
Congrats on the splash.. All the hard work has paid off.. Yea Baby!!! says it all.. :whoo::rockon::party:

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the compliments and kind words M8s. They're much appreciated! We had a couple great outings and she performed flawlessly! A few notables to address this week for the Holi since she got her big toe wet. One critical tweak is the placement of my existing batteries [a 24 and a 27 group AGMs] location. At the moment they're at the stern, starboard side with a combined weight of 107 lbs. I'm going to relocate them to the bow, port side to counter my weight. I usually fish by myself 90% of the time, so this is a must do. Luckily I brought the wiring to the breaker panel and my 2 bank Noco charger in the bow. According to this site http://www.marinewireandcable.com/20...-need-for.html
I need to run 2 AWG wire for the length required from the motor to below the bow casting deck, keeping under the max recommended voltage drop of 5%. I know many of you are at this junction in your restos. I hope this can be of use to some so you won't need to do this twice as I did. The other notable is I may have to pull the trigger on an earlier install of a 24v TM, gps and stereo :D I've narrowed my choice of gps/fishfinder to the Lowrance 9" carbon series, bluetooth able media player, and still undecided on which TM.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
IMG_1166 (1).jpg
I have her back in the hangar for a few more smalls to do before I start walleye fishing this week.....I sure am getting a lot of compliments at our local marina.
I want to thank all who've helped along the way....we certainly do have a great bunch of M8s here!!!

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Very nice work and congrates on the Splash.

And does that motor sound nice.

Dan

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very nice work and congrates on the Splash.

And does that motor sound nice.

Dan

Thank you and thanks for dropping in Dan.
I'm super elated on how the boat project turned out....she performs flawlessly and the Admiral and I just love it!
I agree, these modern day Mercury 4 strokes are a thing of beauty for sure!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
That's a really sharp design! No surprise you're turning heads at the ramp!

fetch

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow what a beauty ! some real nice work there for sure ! and she looks fast with that new motor. congrats dude!

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's a really sharp design! No surprise you're turning heads at the ramp!

fetch

Thanks for dropping by classiccat and kind words. Speaking of turning heads at the ramp. The other day when I was in line waiting to launch her after re-locating the batteries and re-wiring them, 2 local M8s walked by me and asked about the boat. I was telling them about my recent journey[the 2+ year re-do project lol] and come to find out that back in their younger days[35+yrs ago] they both water-skied as teenagers behind a similar boat belonging to parents of friends they used to chum around with that lived just down the road from this marina. They were blown away that it was in fact THE same boat!! I proceeded to tell them the story on how I acquired it through the purchase of the home and who the 2 past owners were.
Small world eh?

Last edited:

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow what a beauty ! some real nice work there for sure ! and she looks fast with that new motor. congrats dude!

Thanks knezzer. I should have my gps mounted and installed this week, so I'll have a better idea of her top speed afterwards, albeit the hulls back in the day weren't built for high speeds. The mph gauge installed in my dashs' clamshell reads 41 at the moment with a 17" 4 blade AL prop at 4450 rpm.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Awesome work to be proud of for sure! :thumb:

It is super cool to have people at the launch recognize that the boat is old but looks brand new.

I've been thinking about a new 4 Stroke Merc too, but 12k for a 115 and no controls seems like a crazy high price. Then I turn the key and my old smooth running 140 Merc fires right off and gets my heavy SS to 45 .

BWR1953

Admiral
I think it's shorthand for Mates. You know, "G'day mate, how ya goin awright?" :lol:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
M8's is another one of those acronyms that the younger generation loves to use so much!

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
No wonder I haven't clue what it means, and I don't call anybody "mate", not even my wife. :)