1976 supersport 18 question

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys, haven't been here in a while. My Chieftain is still going forward but on hold for a bit. Wifes health has been first.
I've been looking for something we can pick up to do some fishing and playing around with until the Chieftain is finished and seen a Supersport 18 locally.
It's been sitting in the guys garage for the past 2 years and is an I/O, just my type. I dont like outboard lol.
So what has me confuseconfused, it isn't a Mercruiser, it has an OMC stringer? Was this actually offered, or did someone swap it in after having problems with the Merc?
I know, no one here likes OMC lol. But, I figured if it's in good condition, maintaining it isn't a big deal. And the price is right.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah they came with the OMC Stinger, The White Leg of Death. Discontinued decades ago and no parts support.

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure, never seen a Starcraft with one. The more I've researched the wlod i decided i dont really feel like messing with it. It's too bad, the rest of the boat looks pretty good and no way I'm interested in swapping drives around. Looking for something my wife and i can hop in and go with just minimal work.
I've vowed to never go glass again but did see a Sidewinder that's a true barn find. Hasent sat in the weather. The interior has been gutted to be redone but the floor looks like its spent its life in a barn under cover. I may just be persuaded to try the dark side again lol.