1976 Mercury 1150 Yellow Fluid Leak (Steering?)

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
You have a steering cable with a rack and pinion helm station. Very likely all shot.

Looks to me like you have all kinds of work to do.

Is the motor locked up?

jtexnm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
photos are too close.
back up a foot or two and show us the front of the engine.
and a photo of the sides - the entire engine.

this motor should have an external trim pump, inside the boat, and 4 hydraulic hoses running to the motor.

This is likely the source of your yellow oil.
Thanks at this point based on the fact that it's coming from inside the cowl, I'm fairly confident it's old gas.

jtexnm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You have a steering cable with a rack and pinion helm station. Very likely all shot.

Looks to me like you have all kinds of work to do.

Is the motor locked up?
I've been working on taking the steering apart. It looks like the steering has three tubes.

1. Outer and threaded on both ends, which is stationary. This one moves in and out fine.

2. Middle tube is seized so badly. I was eventually able to get it to move in a bit but now I can't move it out. I have tried going as far as hooking it up to the winch on my truck but I just spun the boat trailer around.

3. Inner tube which is connected to the helm, moves fine. It was dirty and I cleaned/greased it.

The photo shows the part that is stuck, which is where the motor attaches. The motor spins fine on its own.

I'm guessing there's no way to free the stuck middle tube. Anyone know what parts need to be replaced?

Attachments

• IMG_20221226_161340.jpg
    IMG_20221226_161340.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8

jtexnm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I put a tow strap on the front of the trailer hook to a tree to keep the trailer from spinning and I snapped the mobile home anchors I used to attach the winch to the steering piece. That tube still hasn't budged at all.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Hard to understand your descriptions. Looks to me like your trying to remove your steering cable from the tilt tube. If you pounded it in without any lube or if it just stopped going you need to apply lube to the other side and try to put it back in. I have used a slide hammer to pull it back in. After moving it back and forth it will get loose allowing you to pull it free.

Once out you can determine why it won't work correctly.

Either the cable is frozen or the tilt tube innards are dirty and need to be cleaned and lubed.

Those are the two most common places.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Needs a new steering cable.-----Hurry see a dealer and see if original cable is available.-----But do a complete evaluation pf this boat / motor before spending any beer tokens for parts.----Carefullly inspect wiring insulation on the motor and in the throttle / shift control box.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I also see someone has gnarled up the cable with some vise grips or channel locks. Once you get it back in then you will need to grind those flush again.

jtexnm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So replace the entire steering cable? I guess I can't see any other way since it's attached to all the sliding tubes.

The steering cable is the inner part. There's a tube in between that and the threaded pipe that serves as the guide for everything. It's that middle tube that is stuck. What I shared is that I have tried extreme measures to try to pull it back out and have gone through more than a can of penetrating oil but it will not budge in that direction. It can't be hit from the other side because that would damage the steering cable. I'd rather not buy a new steering cable of course but I got to do what I got to do.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
So replace the entire steering cable? I guess I can't see any other way since it's attached to all the sliding tubes.

The steering cable is the inner part. There's a tube in between that and the threaded pipe that serves as the guide for everything. It's that middle tube that is stuck. What I shared is that I have tried extreme measures to try to pull it back out and have gone through more than a can of penetrating oil but it will not budge in that direction. It can't be hit from the other side because that would damage the steering cable. I'd rather not buy a new steering cable of course but I got to do what I got to do.
Because it's stuck you have to get it back in the way it was. The winch system will not do it.
Do you have a slide hammer or know what one is?

Do you see the wrench marks in the inside cable piece?

jtexnm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Vice grip marks are mine and they aren't a concern because they are at the end where it doesn't slide in or contact anything. But thanks for the concern.

I don't have an air hammer but I do have a hammer drill I just figured I would get more force on it with a car. But maybe the hammering action will help. I should give that a try.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Here is a video of another way....by the way some times you have to move the outboard over to have enough clearance to pull it out.

jtexnm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here is a video of another way....by the way some times you have to move the outboard over to have enough clearance to pull it out.

I totally misunderstood. The video's very helpful. I was only trying to get it the other way.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Vice grip marks are mine and they aren't a concern because they are at the end where it doesn't slide in or contact anything. But thanks for the concern.

I don't have an air hammer but I do have a hammer drill I just figured I would get more force on it with a car. But maybe the hammering action will help. I should give that a try.
The marks are a concern!!! That cable has to come out. It has to go all the way through the tube. That is a precision fit so those marks will not let it go through.

Also, I said slide hammer, not air hammer.

Here is what your two options are now.

Get it going back and forth some how until it frees up and then maybe it can be cleaned up and used.

Or, option 2....cut off the other side, beat it through the other way and buy a new steering cable.

I've done many and it's common.

Here is a slide hammer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221226-161614.png
    Screenshot_20221226-161614.png
    651.9 KB · Views: 0

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Good, now turn the helm and see if it still moves out of the motor....if so you can clean everything up and still use it.

The cable can be stuck inside the sheath and then it's no good.

Glad you got it out.

jtexnm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good, now turn the helm and see if it still moves out of the motor....if so you can clean everything up and still use it.

The cable can be stuck inside the sheath and then it's no good.

Glad you got it out.
It does. That's something that I made sure worked before I messed with this.

I'm on my fifth pass with a wypall on the hammer bit set to drill only cleaning out the tube.

Attachments

• IMG_20221226_173857.jpg
    IMG_20221226_173857.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
It does. That's something that I made sure worked before I messed with this.

I'm on my fifth pass with a wypall on the hammer bit set to drill only cleaning out the tube.
Your lucky. Clean up everything.....both tube and cable. Hand file wrench marks.
Wipe on marine grease and re-install. Motor should now steer.

jtexnm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Your lucky. Clean up everything.....both tube and cable. Hand file wrench marks.
Wipe on marine grease and re-install. Motor should now steer.
Ran into an issue. Turns out, there's a section of the tube with some rust and probably pitting. It's a little hard to tell. I plan to put some very coarse steel wool on the drill bit and see if that cleans it up. That rust won't let the steering cable pass.