1976 Johnson 55 EL..Good Find?

will941s

Chief Petty Officer
I picked up this 1976 Johnson Seahorse 55 hp today off a guy in Charleston. I was looking for a 50-60hp Motor to put on my stinger 160 CC, and came across one that I cound'nt pass up.

$500 and heres what it has. All original paint, all original decals inside and out....that look like new. Compression is 150 Psi EVEN on both cylinders. No bolts have ever been broken, no overheat burnt paint. Carbs are tight and clean, No corrosion. It started in the 1st bump of the key. I pulled the plugs when I did the compression test and looked in the cyliners with a bore scope. No scuffs or scratches were present...and there is so little carbon on the pistons you can still see the milling rings and the numbers stamped on them. As far as I know everything is original, did'nt know these still existed in this shape.

Planning on replacing the water pump and rebuilding the carbs, replacing the plugs, and lower unit oil....Also adding a tell tale to it. Do you guys think this is a good buy for the money? Anything else I should look at doing to it?

Hoping to post pics as soon as I can take some.

unleaded

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1976 Johnson 55 EL..Good Find?

Nope, lousy deal but I'll take it off your hands for 500. Lol

will941s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1976 Johnson 55 EL..Good Find?

Hung it on the boat last night, now trying to locate a set of binnicle controls for it. Thing looks like it was out put in a time capsule.