1976 Glastron v162 Stringers and Transom

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
I posted this on the Glastron section and got no replies...sooo thought I would give it a shoot here....

Anybody have a picture of what the transom and bilge area originally looked like in this boat? I have ripped out almost all of the floor and found that the stringer don't seem to actually attach to the transom. The bilge is a half circle made with just fiberglass. This was probably due to the last person to do repairs totally mucking it up...

Any pictures of the transom area (from the inside) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

If you look at my shareaproject link...and zoom into the picture of the transom...you will see why I am questioning this. The transom/bilge area looks like it was butchered. Even if you don't have pictures of the original...any ideas on how to re-build it would be greatly appreciated.

-JMW

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1976 Glastron v162 Stringers and Transom

This was probably due to the last person to do repairs totally mucking it up...
Nope,........ That's How they were Built.........

All that area, with the Exception of the Little fiberglass Bowl, is a Foam filled Waterproof compartment..............
Or so it May have been for a Short Design Life....... 'Cause,.. We Know,... There Ain't No WaterProof Compartments.......

How you go back together is up to You,.........
I like an Open Bilge,+ Pumps over "Waterproof" Foams,+ Compartments..............

JustMrWill

You mean to tell me that the stringers didn't originally tie into the transom at all? I was thinking that there was a square bilge and the middle stringer was attched to that...and that was in turn attached ot transom. What you can't see in the pictures is that the 2 side stringers also dont go all the way to the transom...they stop about 1" from it. There was no (zero) foam under the floor around the bilge area...only some in the corners above the floor. HMmmm...

OK... here is what I was thinking (see cheesy paint drawings below): building a new bilge...(dark blue area) and tie in the middle stringer (red) to it...that should transfer some of the force from transom (green) to the stringer...then on bottom picture...the 2 side stringers...would tie into the transom as shown.

Am I "over doing it?"

boatplan.JPG

boatplan1.JPG

Thanks.

-JMW

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds similar to what I found in my boat and what I did to connect the stringers to the transom. Take a look at my shareaproject.

These manufacturers must put alot of faith in the floor and hull transfering the load to the rest of the boat. Because thats was the only thing in contact with the transom and the stringers in my boat.

JustMrWill

Wow...nice work on your project. I have an idea of how I will be doing it. Thanks for the response.

-JMW