1976 Evinrude 70 HP need help

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well back to the drawing board.

Tested it at my local lake and everything seemed fine. Ran around for a good 30 minutes alternating between periods of WOT and idle.

Took it to a lake two hours away to go fishing yesterday and the gremlins started showing up again. It was initially hard to start and then intermittent misfire at idle. As long as it was above an idle everything was fine but at low idle I had to really stay on top of it and bump the throttle every time it acted up. If I didn't goose it quick enough when it started acting up it would die. The bad thing is this was a trolling trip as is 90% of the fishing we do with this boat, so staying running at idle is everything. We did manage 5 hours and many miles but I've really got to get this figured out.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
geez. looked at fuel supply yet, anywhere from tank through pump? If a permanent tank in particular, chance of contamination -- water. Can pull out a sample from the bottom and let it settle out in a glass jar. Look for water at the bottom.

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yep, tank was pulled out and cleaned last summer. New hose line and primer bulb installed then as well, and a new fuel line connector. New fuel pump rebuild kit just done. New crankcase to fuel pump hose. New clear fuel lines from connector to pump, pump to center carb and from center carb to upper and lower. Tank was half full from last summer but had stabilizer in it. Topped it off with fresh. When I had it in at the dealer a couple of weeks ago, they pulled a fuel sample and said it was good.

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know we aren't supposed to reply to old threads, but hey, it is my thread. I just wanted to give a quick update to anyone who was following along or might land here in a future search, as I finally solved the problem.

If you have followed this thread then you know that I have replaced or reworked just about everything that could possibly be causing my issues. One thing that I had actually suspected early on was the reed valves. Upon removal and inspection, they appeared to be fine. If I held a flashlight to the back of the reed blocks I could see just a minute amount of light around the perimeter of a couple them. I was told that this was normal and crankcase pressure would cause them to seal completely. So I put on new gaskets and kept searching for answers.

After exhausting every possible culprit, I finally came back to the reeds. Since my problems centered around hard starting and intermittently dropping one cylinder at idle, I decided that maybe it just wasn't making enough crankcase pressure at idle to seal the reeds. When I pulled the carbs again, if I rotated the flywheel by hand, I could hear air escaping the reeds on the down stroke, but only on one cylinder. I bit the bullet and dropped 75 bucks on a set of Boyesen power reeds (kit #133) and installed them. The motor now starts great and runs perfect! I have never heard this thing idle more beautifully. So although there were a number of things contributing to my problem, the main culprit seems to have been the reeds. Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions and hopefully this thread will help others who are experiencing similar issues find a solution.