1976 Evinrude 70 HP need help

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, I've had this motor for about 7 years and it ran well for the first 5 although it has always been a bit temperamental on cold starts. The troubles started when I lost a coil a couple of years ago. I replaced it with the proper Sierra replacement but have been plagued with hard starting ever since. Sometimes it starts right up, others it acts like it's not even attempting to fire. Usually if it doesn't start right away the plugs will wet foul and I have to pull them out and dry them, over and over and over again. Once it starts the idle is unstable and it usually dies as soon as you put it in gear. If I can keep it running long enough to get it in gear and above an idle, everything is fine from there.

The carbs have always been kept clean, I have done a deep engine decarb more than once and I run a can of Sea Foam though the first tank every spring. Last year I completely rebuilt all three carbs and put on all new fuel lines, did link & sync, still the problem persisted. The last time I used it a second coil failed (They were originals BTW). I didn't get a chance to mess with it again so it has now sat for 9 months.

OK, so this springs so far I have replaced the remaining two coils, disassembled and cleaned all carbs, fresh fuel. Someone suggested that the powerpack was probably on the way out and likely producing weak spark, so I replaced that as well. I pulled the flywheel to check for a sheared key, it was fine but I put a new one in anyway. Also checked the stator for cracks and the sensor coils for cracks and oozing, all look fine. Also inspected upper crankshaft seal, it was not oily but I sprayed soapy water on it anyway, replaced flywheel and cranked it a few times. Pulled flywheel and no bubbles.

So all this got it running well on muffs in the driveway but it idled incredibly high, like 2000 + RPM. I attributed it to the fact that there was no back pressure on the exhaust and the air silencer box was removed. Hit it with a timing light while it was running and found that it was timed at exactly TDC at the throttle pickup point. Buttoned everything up and went to the lake assuming that I would only need to adjust the idle speed stop and throttle linkage and everything would be fine.

Once again, hard to start and sounds like it is not timed right. At idle it misses and sounds like one coil is cutting in and out. Give it gas and it goes. Top end is great (it always has been), but back to idle and it starts missing and will eventually die. No amount of throttle linkage adjustment seemed to help at all. Took it to the lake again yesterday to mess with it and could not get it to start at all.

I finally decided that maybe the reeds weren't sealing well until crankcase pressure increased so I pulled them to inspect and they look fine. I did find that the gasket between the air silencer and the front of the carbs was a bit messed up. Take a look at the attached photo and tell me what you think. This is at the bottom carb and as you can see I'm definitely sucking air through the gasket at each of the screw holes. I cannot see where this is the problem however because this air leakage is before it enters the carb throat where fresh air supply is still unrestricted. But if you look close at the upper right you can see that the slipped gasket is covering half of the opening to the port that is to the starboard of the idle air bleed orifice. I'm not certain, but I think this port is the fresh air supply to the idle orifice. I have new gaskets on order but wanted to get some opinions. Do you think this is my sole problem at this point or does it sound like there may be something else going on that I'm missing?

BTW, my compression is 150, 150, 140 and I have good blue spark on an air gap tester set at 1/2".

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes I know, and yes I did do link & sync as outlined in my Clymer manual. However, the one thing the manual does not mention is what position the remote lever should be in at the throttle pickup point. What I mean is, should the throttle cam be at the pickup point when the remote lever is at the neutral detent or somewhere before? I set mine where pickup point was with remote at neutral detent and this is when I got over 2000 RPM. At pickup I am timed at TDC but the timer base arm is not fully retarded. I can still push it back a bit with my finger and the timing goes to well after TDC. I was able to bring the RPM down to about 1200 by backing out the throttle arm stop screw and adjusting the thumb wheel on the remote cable. This in turn pulled the throttle cam back to a point where it was not even touching the roller on the carb linkage. Which means I have to be in FWD and already advancing the remote lever slightly before hitting the pickup point. This did bring the idle down to normal RPM once it was in the water and had back pressure on the exhaust. But this is also where I experience the hard starting and poor idle quality and it feels like a coil is cutting in and out.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Disconnect the throttle control cable you are not going to use it to do this needs to be done by hand. The cam needs to meet the carb roller and JUST start opening the carbs at TDC at the mark on the cam. When that is done you will not touch them again you will set the idle speed with the idle screw and cable. You may need to fine tune but do that first. Your pics are still not showing up the gap between the cam and the roller but for right now that will not be important.

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have done all of that exactly, and that is where it idles at 2000+ The link is working for me now.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
How about a pic of the throttle cam or a video of it running the gasket is not your problem.

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, I couldn't believe that the gasket covering half of that port wouldn't be effecting idle quality. So I put everything back together and put a new gasket on between the carbs and the air silencer. This time it wouldn't start at all, didn't even attempt to fire! This of course makes no sense since I made no changes or adjustments to any part of the ignition system. I tried several times over the course of three days and the best I could get was a random fire here and there but it never started. I became suspicious that the new powerpack had either blown or was defective so I put the old one on but nothing changed.

When it did try to fire, it sounded like it wasn't at the correct time. I pulled the flywheel again just to make sure the new key had not sheared and to double check the condition of the stator and sensor coils. Everything was fine so I put the flywheel back on, turned the key and it fired right up. THIS MAKES NO SENSE!

It is still dropping a cylinder intermittently, so it is clearly an ignition system problem, but what? I will say that during the moments when all three were firing, it seemed to idle better than before, so that bad gasket was effecting idle quality as I suspected.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Start looking at all the wiring for bad insulation that could be grounding out. Also test your ignition switch could be going bad

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Inspected all wiring and found nothing wrong. I did the key switch test and nothing changed. I also did resistance tests on the stator and sensor coils and they both showed within specs. I do not have a Merc-o-tronic or a DVA adapter so I have no way to do output tests.

phillnjack2

Ensign
best thing t odo is throw that stupid Clymer book away. they are so wrong about so much, I have no idea why people buy them.

disconnect everything and start again, first off clean those carbs again in carb cleaner. because a lean mix can cause higher rom ,but that is not going to give a 2,000rpm idle.
your timing must be way out, and people on here will advise on the correct way to time your engine.
first make 100% sure that the TDC timing mark is in the right place on flywheel incase the magnets have come loose !! yes it can happen.
take out top plug and put a rod in there and move flywheel by hand to check for TDC and look on the flywheel markings.
while out clean all 3 plugs and gap them to correct setting for your year of engine.

but do not go by the Clymer manual, it realy is rubbish. I tried to do mine by it and no chance of running right,

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you for the reply. Clymer is all they had at my local Library unfortunately. Was planning to buy a Sealoc anyway. Carbs are definitely 100%, I went through them twice this week to be sure. I have a gauge that threads into the spark plug port for finding TDC. TDC has been verified and the timing mark and pointer as well. Plugs are new, correct and gapped properly. Flywheel magnets have been inspected and are not loose.

I gave in and took it to the J&E dealer for a diagnostic. I asked them to test all components of the ignition system, verify that there were no issues with the fuel system and check the timing and synchronization. Just picked it up 30 minutes ago. They said that everything tested good and the problem is a leaking crankcase seal and possibly the lower crankshaft seal as well. I never suspected that since there was no oily residue along the seams to indicate a leak and the upper seal tested good when I sprayed soapy water on it. The tech said that if he sprayed carb cleaner along the crankcase seam with the engine running it would rev way up. I tested this as soon as I got it home and it does indeed. Guess I will be pulling the powerhead off to reseal.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Any chance the spray went into the carburetors with air being drawn that way.-----Tested with the silencer cover off the front ?

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Silencer cover installed. I suppose it's possible as it did take a second or two after a squirt to see the effect, but I was careful to not spray in the vicinity of the air box opening. At this point however, since everything else tested good I don't know what else could be causing the issues.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
The lower crankshaft seal might be an issue, as the shop suggested -- could cause lean running, maybe on the lower cylinder, maybe additional symptoms that mimic ignition issues. I think you could check for a bad seal by pulling the l.u., and checking the driveshaft for fuel/oil seepage up around the top at the splines.

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The dealer actually had the seals and O rings in stock so I picked them up along with some anaerobic sealer for the crankcase halves. Just finished tearing it down. Had to stop for the night but I'm ready to lift the powerhead off tomorrow.

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, I just pulled the powerhead off and I'm thinking that lower seal is definitely leaking.

56f708cf-48cf-4295-bf23-71c010069040.jpg

It's worth noting that the spot at directly 12 o'clock from the seal is where I sprayed carb cleaner and got a change in RPM. When I removed the seal housing I noticed that the lips were worn flat and a quick measurement with digital calipers shows the old seal ID at 1.128" whereas the new seal ID is 1.092". Fingers crossed that this fixes my problem.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yup. Fingers crossed. Is that some fuel seepage in the pic? (could just be a result of pulling it apart, if something there.)

I wonder if whacking the flywheel nut -- pulling and reinstalling the flywheel -- might have given you a temporary fix for a leaking shaft seal(?)

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I dunno, but it's obviously been leaking for a while as it was all gummy and gooey. It's kinda hard to tell in the pic, but if you look at the left side on the red primered interior, you can see a black line coming down from the top and it continues along the bottom as well. This a sling line of gummy fuel/oil. It is at the exact height as the end of the crankshaft. So as the fuel seeped through the seal and ran down to the end of the crankshaft (about 1/4"), centrifugal force then slung it off creating the line inside the housing.