1976 Cobia Tri Hull Transom Destroyed - HELP

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 Cobia Tri Hull Transom Destroyed - HELP

Yup, inner skin gotta go!!!!! Top of the transom sides..Gotta go!!!! SawzAll, Grinder, Circular Saw set to depth, whatever it takes, just get it out!!!!! Don't worry about the outer skin being cracked, splintered and full of holes...That can/will all be repaired. Just try and keep it in one piece as best you can. Everything else...Rip it out!!!!!

gilligan2032

Seaman Apprentice

Alright, I'll suit up to do the dirty deed ASAP.

Should I remove all three stringers? Or remove them and replace them one by one?

Also, should I remove the gunwhales?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I think strapping the boat is an excellent way of maintining her shape. Trihulls usually are fairly stable hulls so I think you can remove all the stringers at once If your trailer is a full bunk trailer. If not you could add some additional support underneath as needed. I see no need to remove the gunwales.

gilligan2032

Seaman Apprentice

My weekend was ruined by a druggie trying to break into my detached garage in the middle of the night!!!! Thank God I have two big boxers that alerted me to his presence in the middle of the night, but he had left by the time the cops arrived. I got zero sleep Friday night, and my heart was beating out of my chest!

I did do a little demolition work, and found it to be a puzzle. I used my circle saw set to a shallow depth to cut out as much deck as I could close to the hull. I found it very awkward to use, and seemed dangerous the way I was handling it. I tried out my grinder with a diamond cup wheel that I bought. I had expectations that it was going to chew through material like a weed whacker or something. It definitely is not suited for cutting out large pieces of fiberglass! I was going to use the 36grit fiber discs, but it seems I need a backing pad for them? Should I buy a CUT OFF wheel for the grinder? The instruction manual says I will need a new guard to use a cut off wheel (a type 1 guard). I eventually turned to my dremel tool, which worked really well. Since all the wood is total mush, I am only trying to cut out the fiberglass. The dremel cuts it easily and accurately but it burns through the cutting discs quickly. Would it be worth getting a cheapo oscillating tool at harbour freight? I can imagine that removing the stringers with my dremel could take quite a while.

I kept the fiberglass off well enough! Thanks for the tips...

12288316353_50d6ff596d_c.jpg

Last edited:

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you have a 4 1/2 or 5" grinder, pick up some 24 grit discs along with a pad. It makes quick work of fiberglass. Just be careful as you can eat through your hull if your not paying close attention.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The MultiTool cutter from HF does a surprisingly good job of cutting the deck out. The Half Moon blade is a good choice as and additional blade.

gilligan2032

Seaman Apprentice

The MultiTool cutter from HF does a surprisingly good job of cutting the deck out. The Half Moon blade is a good choice as and additional blade.

I would imagine it works great for cutting out the stringers too? (especially considering mine are filled with mushy rotten wood)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep and a Sawzall with a Long Flexible blade works well on stringers too!!!!

gilligan2032

Seaman Apprentice

I spent the afternoon working.

I started by taking out the rest of the deck using my dremel tool with a diamond cutting disc from harbour freight (only 5 bucks!). It cut as fast as I could move the tool, and had the perfect depth so that I didn't cut through the hull. I found the crowbar useful to pry out the rotted deck wood.

I bought the harbour freight oscillating tool and found it to be very helpful to remove the first stringer. I wish it were more powerful and didn't vibrate in your hand so much! After a while it rattles your bones to death. I burned through the cheapo blades it came with, and bought a Dremel brand blade that seems to last a long time. I also used it to help get the rest of the inner skin removed on the transom. Lots of digging out wood with the crowbar.

LOTS of material removed!
12395339875_734d77e8e2_c.jpg

12395248485_e0b75d6e7c_c.jpg

12395448063_1943027f93_c.jpg

12395738304_073f5007f8_c.jpg

12395309715_98d8236a51_c.jpg

12395691804_9e20f5987f_c.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yup, I'd say a pretty good days work!!!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Your work looks great and you're making some good progress!

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

Good work/progress, indeed. It's so good when you get all that debris out of there & see a relatively clean hull. Now the REAL building begins & it is so rewarding. I wanted to comment on your transom's outer skin. I, too, on my current build, had a transom that both inner & outer skins were compromised...severely. I took out the inner skin & was puckering when I had to cut out about a 6 x 6 area of outer transom after the inner skin was gone. Had a hole I could put my leg thru. I added a couple of layers of 1708 to the inner part of the outer skin BEFORE putting the wood in. It puckered out & I thought, "Oh carp, I'm gonna have a mess". Well, it ain't completely sanded & fared smooth, but very soon, only a couple(hundred) of us will know it was ever there. So, just wanted to offer some encouraging words. I can only guess you might be feeling a little nervous about that, too. Just try to be careful around it, firm it up maybe with a layer or two first, then build yourself a transom. I'll be watching!!
Lisa

gilligan2032

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the encouragement! I think I have the rest of the demolition job under control, which is a great feeling. However, despite reading quite a bit, I'm really ignorant when it comes to the building stage. There is so much to learn when it comes to fiberglass, it's daunting! Thank God Woodonglass has that great guide :)

Where do you guys buy your fiberglass materials? I'm trying to estimate the cost to finish the project. I know it's going to be a lot!

jbcurt00

Staff member

us composites

but in nc, you could try composites one. might be able to pick it up & save shipping & hazmat

gilligan2032

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks jbcurt, I remember seeing a pdf materials list someone had for boat restoration that listed how much resin and fiber Is typically needed for a 15 foot boat. Wish I could find that pdf again!

I remember thinking I would need about 10 gallons of resin. Sound right? I have no idea for csm and 1708 :-\

gilligan2032

Seaman Apprentice

It was a demolition day! I got the other two stringers out, and much of the fiberglass tabs ground away. I bought a reciprocating saw from Harbor Freight for 20 bucks that worked wonders for the stringer removal (as you guys suggested- thanks!). I had some fun with my camera and made a time lapse video of the 3.5 hours of work.

I rigged a fan above to help with the dust - worked great!

12707598874_89f9cedb85_c.jpg

12707566544_75fd9199da_c.jpg

12707111805_d95082c5fd_c.jpg

12707611984_f66a43c21c_c.jpg