1976 888 Fuel Questions

ratdude747

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Drilled holes. And despite having other things to do, I decided to give it a try.

I'm actually testing it now... But here's what I have so far:

Idle is way down... Due to a working alternator! Had to adjust the throttle screw to get it to 700-850 (700 cold, 800-850 warm).

We do have water flow out the bypass ports:

View attachment VID_20240523_191240.mp4

Many minutes in and no overheat. Almost at 140...

17165064222153149918780817579946.jpg

I'll let it run a bit longer... But seems better on both accords.

Yay?

Edit- ran over 21 minutes, temp didn't rise above what's pictured. Test complete.

Last edited:

ratdude747

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Per my other thread the lake test was mostly successful. No overheating (maybe got a hair past 150?) and had plenty of power (we didn't go all the way to the redline, too much traffic). I did run some Motor Medic Lead Substitute just to be safe.

That said, fuel wise, I'm in a pickle. Bringing this back to the original question of this particular thread, the fuel I'm supposed to run isn't super obtainable. Lead substitutes are hardly stocked (heck, the LAPS I bought from didn't even know they had it stocked- somebody had asked 20 mins earlier and only one old bottle on the shelf) and while the local lake 30 mins away has a couple 90 octane E0 stations nearby, the lake is too small for this boat to be worth using (only area where wake is allowed is 1.25x0.5mile). My town has a really nice Ohio river boat ramp but literally nobody in town has ethanol free (it's all E10 or E15)... and an hour of driving just to fill my boat's 20-25 gallon tank (it puked out the vent at around 17.5 with no more than 4 already in but I thought was supposed to be 25???) seems like a waste of time and gas.

From what I can tell the fuel lines/tank are decently clean... but my fear is that ethanol will wreck the mechanical fuel pump (which I believe is factory) and I have yet confirm if such can be rebuilt to handle ethanol (from what I can find the mercruiser fuel pump may be a rebadged/modified Carter pump like Ford used on automotive 302s???). Let alone issues with ethanol fuel sitting in carb bowls (but that's a winterization issue and can be worked around- I run E10 in my carbed truck without issues).

Last thing I want is to be dead in the water with a dead fuel pump. But I also would like to be able to use fuel that doesn't require an expedition to obtain.

matt167

Captain
Don’t sweat the ethanol. Pump what you know you will use and burn it.

The fuel pump is probably available if not a rebuild kit for sure is. It’s a Carter pump that has a hose nipple on the weep hole. It’s so if the pump fails it does not fill the bilge.

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Per my other thread the lake test was mostly successful. No overheating (maybe got a hair past 150?) and had plenty of power (we didn't go all the way to the redline, too much traffic). I did run some Motor Medic Lead Substitute just to be safe.

That said, fuel wise, I'm in a pickle. Bringing this back to the original question of this particular thread, the fuel I'm supposed to run isn't super obtainable. Lead substitutes are hardly stocked (heck, the LAPS I bought from didn't even know they had it stocked- somebody had asked 20 mins earlier and only one old bottle on the shelf) and while the local lake 30 mins away has a couple 90 octane E0 stations nearby, the lake is too small for this boat to be worth using (only area where wake is allowed is 1.25x0.5mile). My town has a really nice Ohio river boat ramp but literally nobody in town has ethanol free (it's all E10 or E15)... and an hour of driving just to fill my boat's 20-25 gallon tank (it puked out the vent at around 17.5 with no more than 4 already in but I thought was supposed to be 25???) seems like a waste of time and gas.

From what I can tell the fuel lines/tank are decently clean... but my fear is that ethanol will wreck the mechanical fuel pump (which I believe is factory) and I have yet confirm if such can be rebuilt to handle ethanol (from what I can find the mercruiser fuel pump may be a rebadged/modified Carter pump like Ford used on automotive 302s???). Let alone issues with ethanol fuel sitting in carb bowls (but that's a winterization issue and can be worked around- I run E10 in my carbed truck without issues).

Last thing I want is to be dead in the water with a dead fuel pump. But I also would like to be able to use fuel that doesn't require an expedition to obtain.
my MCM470 year 1978 .. the gasoline 90-93 octane 10% alcohol ...
the marine additive one oz. 10 gallon gasoline ... the marvel mystery oil one oz. 10 gals .....the carb is very good and the gasoline tank ....no mess !!!!
the winter boat tank gasoline draining it .... then the truck gasoline tank in the fall .....

the carb/gas pump/filter is a very good job ....no corrosion !!!