1975 Johnson 6HP Water In Lower Unit

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all - now that I think my little 6HP will be back in running shape soon I figured I'd check the lower unit oil. I had noticed a drop or two under the motor (stored upright) coming from the back of the prop. I pulled the drain screws and a solid cup of water came out before the black sludge. I went ahead and pumped it full of fresh gear lube and sure enough it's dripping from the prop shaft seal again without even running the motor. I've contemplated rigging up a pressure tester but I'm fairly certain of what I'll learn. That being the case I'm going to give a go at replacing the seals (might as well do the impeller while I'm in there). Question - Is it a tough job? I'm planning on just replacing part numbers 314167, 313282 and both drain plug washers. Sound right or should I do some other stuff while I'm there?

Thanks!

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
oops - forgot I posted about this a week ago - sorry! I got one reply and it was mentioned it might be the shift rod o-ring as well? Any idea what part number that is and what that's like to get to?

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

So I found a few minutes today and pilled the lower unit off. A few items:

It still has the original metal impeller housing - should I get a new plastic one? It has a little bit of wear marking from the spinning impeller but overall looks pretty good.

There appears to be a lot of water in the area (see pictures) and under the impeller plate it looks like gear lube has found its way up.

Next step is to build a pressure tester and see what I can find out.

Attachments

• photo261333.JPG
    photo261333.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261334.JPG
    photo261334.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261335.JPG
    photo261335.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 0