1975 Formula F18

savery

Seaman Apprentice
Been boatless for a decade now. Started perusing classified ads last fall and found this old formula in great shape. It was a little older than I was looking for. It had two fewer cylinders than I was looking for. Had an interior way uglier than I was looking for. But damn was it cool, and in great shape.

It had a few squawks - the starter needed to be replaced, the "up" solenoid for the trim was intermittent, the plumbing from the heat exchanger to the riser was just weird, the fuel pump was an obvious auto zone special - nothing major, just 46 year old boat stuff. I made plans to attack the obvious issues plus a few more - usual tune up, replace anything else that looked like it probably shouldn't be in service for 50 years.

I was obviously very worried about the condition of the wood structure, but it passed the tap, shake and bounce tests and visual inspection of visible wood (around the keyhole, around the deck at the engine compartment). The floor was sound and it had the appearance of being covered or garage kept for most of its life, and with only 160 hours on the vintage looking hour meter it didn't look like it had spent a lot of time in the water. I knew in the back of my mind that it would probably need a transom at some point, but she appeared to have enough life left in her - so she's mine now.

Fast forward to now - I'm going down my punch list. One item was to clean up the mounts for the speedometer and transducer. I broke out the drill, both to see the condition of the wood and to over-drill to re bed the screws. Terrified of what I might find, I was relieved that while there was some moisture in there at some point, the wood was sound.

Still in a drilling mood, I jumped in the bilge and poked a few more holes on the inside of the transom, just deep enough to expose the wood. So far, so good - a few dry spots and a few with moisture in there at some point, but still sound and strong enough that it couldn't be appreciably dented with a screwdriver.

Trying to be mindful of how many holes I was going to have to patch, I eyed the stringers. One good, second one good, third one... uh oh. An inch of good wood and then my heart sank like my screwdriver just did. Now I'm wishing I hadn't done this.

So, now I have a port side stringer that is compromised from a point halfway between the fuel tank bulkhead and the transom forward to....?

There will be a re-build involved here. Ideally, it would be next winter. Can I get some use out of her this season? Decisions, decisions. More investigation to follow.

Seriously, how is this not awesome?
Boat1.JPG

IMG_8166.JPG
Good stuff here...
IMG_5784.JPG
IMG_5785.JPG
Crap...
IMG_5782.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8165.JPG
    IMG_8165.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 17

todhunter

Canoeist
It's hideous...in a cool way.

Regarding your main question...some will say no, you're going to die and kill everyone on board the next time you go out in it. Some will say sure, 10 more years before you've got to worry. Only you can make the call, as only you know how hard you'll beat it out on the water, and you've got the most up-front view of the extent of the rot. The stringers, bulkheads, floor, and transom are often a network of connected wood under a fiberglass skin. This means that rot easily and quickly spreads throughout the entire network. If you find some rot (which you have), there's bound to be more, and it's bound to continue spreading. Whether or not you boat this season with it as-is is up to you, but it sounds like a full gut & restore is in your near future.

savery

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah, a tear out would give me an opportunity to get rid of the hideous upholstery, regardless of the fact that it's in great condition.

I did some more investigation, and I believe the worst extends a few inches forward of the aft tank bulkhead, leaving about a 2' long punky area. Since it's on a roller trailer, I crawled up underneath and inspected for signs of deflection, and there are none.

Using a 3/8 paddle bit and long screwdrivers I've managed to pull up enough crap to where I have mostly solid material on both sides. I'm currently drying it with denatured alcohol, a drop light and a fan and will continue for a few weeks. I'll use that time to go through the rest of my PM items and then fill the voids with epoxy resin as a temporary fix. I hate temporary fixes that cost hundreds of dollars, but whatever. My boating area is protected inland waters and I don't have plans to wring out the old 165 so I feel comfortable with this decision.

That will get me through this year, and I can spend my time searching eBay for a 260/alpha 1 combo. And marine vinyl.

savery

Seaman Apprentice
No reason to suspect an issue, but I was installing new hoses and a fuel sending unit and I got to thinking about the condition of the fuel tank where I couldn't see (and that was pretty much 98% of it since it's permanently installed, which I hate) so I decided to pressure test. I only pumped it up to about 1.1 PSI, but no leaks.
1653443856860.png