1974 Starcraft SS16 Restortation

budski

Lieutenant Commander
It's been a couple of weeks with some progress made. The trailer is done and the boat is on the trailer. Sadly I will not see my lower end until the end of next week. So much for a launch during the long weekend. Some pics:

View attachment 348906

I ordered some boat guides for the boat, seen attached. Unfortunately I had to go back to John to weld a couple more extensions on in order to get them wide enough. The bunk brackets and everything went on fairly smoothly.

View attachment 348908

A better close up of the bunks.

View attachment 348909

The boat fit on the trailer like a glove, with some minor adjustments. Nothing that we weren't able to sort out in a short period of time.

View attachment 348910

The front end fits in nicely, again some minor adjustments to make everything snug.

View attachment 348911

One last glamour shot!

So now I am just waiting on the lower end. I did a final top coat on the motor this evening. I will pick up some clear coat and hit the motor with that tomorrow night. I need to order some decals now....
Looks great Ron

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Looks so Good on the trailer!!! A match made in Heaven!!

SHSU

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks so Good on the trailer!!! A match made in Heaven!!

SHSU
Thanks SHSU, and now I just need to get the lower end. I am thinking that I might get the outboard mounted on the boat this Thursday, but I may delay that decision until after the long weekend.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Gents,

About two months later and I got my lower end back. As it turns out, no leaks, the guy tested it at double the pressure it normally runs at and no issues. The only thing that had to happen was the replacement of the impeller. While disappointing it took so long to figure that out, the good news is that it saved my a bunch of cash.

I am still hopeful to have the boat in the water this year. We plan on mounting the motor this weekend, and testing it. If everything is good to go, then we take it to the nearest body of water and give it a test run.

I have ordered decals for the boat, "Starcraft" for the stern (in white), "Evinrude" for the motor (in sapphire blue), and my boat licence number in white. I get those tomorrow.

Here is a pic of the lower end reinstalled. I am not painting it this year, that will happen next spring.
306.JPG

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
2 months dang that ate up the entire summer just about and that's why I learned to work on my own motors / drives. That and I'm cheap 😆

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Boys!

Quick update. I got my decals last weekend and got them install, I think they look great. We now have the motor install on the boat. Once we had it all wired up and ready to go, we had to stop because we found a fuel leak. Gordie (my neighbor) zeroed it down to the fuel lines leading to the carbs. We fixed some of them, and got ready for another try at the start. It was beautiful! I literally turn the key and motor start immediately. That was after sitting for four years. I am seriously impressed with that motor, it ran like a charm, and now some pics:

IMG_0386.JPG

The decals only cost me about 10 bucks each, and there were six of them. I had the two sapphire blue Evinrude decals, and the four decals for the boat. That being the Starcraft and my boat licence number.
The sapphire blue decal was a perfect match.

IMG_0388.JPG

Loving how the Starcraft decals look!

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

My neighbor Gordie playing with the throttle on the motor.

Everything is pretty much ready to go. The plan right now to replace all of the fuel lines to the carbs this weekend. We will do some final checks, and then we head out to give the boat a run.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Lookin' Good! A few steps closer to the ramp!

Not to add something to your shortlist however one thing that jumps out at me is the water coming out of the relief ports; that's not normal on muffs.

Has the Tstat & pressure relief poppits/springs been checked? It's also possible that the water pump is pumping some water directly into the exhaust housing (tube/pump aren't properly sealed). The good news is that you do have water coming from the telltail.

1632569966487.png

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
That motor looks downright sexy in that color. Nice work figmo.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lookin' Good! A few steps closer to the ramp!

Not to add something to your shortlist however one thing that jumps out at me is the water coming out of the relief ports; that's not normal on muffs.

Has the Tstat & pressure relief poppits/springs been checked? It's also possible that the water pump is pumping some water directly into the exhaust housing (tube/pump aren't properly sealed). The good news is that you do have water coming from the telltail.

View attachment 350421
Hey Classic,

You were right, the thermostat was seized, and the poppets were also a little gummed up. We were able to get them sorted out prior to the launch last weekend. When I say we, what I really mean is my neighbor Gordie.

Your keen eye is greatly appreciated!

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
That motor looks downright sexy in that color. Nice work figmo.
Thanks Moserkr. I plan on finishing the lower end next year. I am hoping to post my splash pictures soon from last weekend. For some reason my computer does not want to talk to my phone, so I am having issues downloading my images. Hopefully I can get it sorted out soon.

classiccat

Hey Classic,

You were right, the thermostat was seized, and the poppets were also a little gummed up. We were able to get them sorted out prior to the launch last weekend. When I say we, what I really mean is my neighbor Gordie.

Your keen eye is greatly appreciated!
Everyone needs a neighbor like Gordie! I'm sure he's earned himself a few free fishing trips! Glad you got your cooling system squared away!

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Gents,

The launch of the boat took place last weekend. If you told me that I would be launching the boat in October I would have told you that you were crazy, however that is what happened. The weather was surprising warm and sunny most of the four days we were at the lake. Here are the pictures:

01a.jpg

We arrived at my friend Spencer's cottage on The Lake of Woods in Ontario. This is the morning of the launch, we are just getting the boat ready to take to the boat launch.

02.PNG

At the boat launch doing final preps. Making sure everything is ready to go.

03.PNG

Me climbing into the boat for the big event!

04.PNG

And splashed for the first time in four years. It felt pretty good.

05.PNG

The passenger is Spencer and the pilot to get me back to the cottage. I didn't mount the fish finder yet, nor did I bring my trolling motor. This trip was just meant to get the boat in the water and see what it could do.

06.PNG

Safe arrival back at the cottage. The boat ran well, but the idle was a bit low. Gordie played around with it and got the idle setup. You can see Spencer's 21' Lund and his pontoon boat.

07.jpg

Nice picture taken from the pontoon boat. I think she looks great!

08.PNG

The four of us went out for a quick rip. That's Gordie in the bow. My son Garrett is taking the pics and Spencer is guiding us safely on the water. With four adult males in the boat I was able to get it up to a top speed of 32 mph.

09.PNG

The 60 was running like a champ!

10.PNG

One of the nice things about launching in the fall were the colours. It was amazing, and the water was very smooth. Odd to be wearing T shirts and shorts in October.

11.jpg

I had to get one night shot in. I Love the deck lighting!

12.jpg

We ended up going fishing the next day anyway. Spencer's son Pierce came out on the Friday, so we took the Lund and my boat out the next day. We dropped anchor in a calm bay (about 12' deep) with the sun bearing down on us, it was a beautiful day.

13.jpg

Gordie up on the bow, shoes off enjoying himself. We got our limit in about two and half hours. All Walleye.

15.jpg

The live well worked like a charm, however I forgot to mount a screen on the aerator pump intake. The fish kept getting to stuck to it when I turned it on. It was actually pretty funny, one the walleye got his face sucked into it.

14.jpg

This is the end of the fishing day, and it was truly a great day. The boat worked as planned and we both got our limit! Note that the nav lights are working.

A great four days. I still have things to do to the boat like the fish finder and wiring for the trolling motor, but I am more than happy with how things turned out.

I want to thank everyone on here that have helped me along the way with this project. I really appreciate the support and advice with the restoration.
I was also fortunate enough to meet Budski and his son John, both of whom were a great help with the boat and trailer. Naturally my neighbor Gordie, who was a regular fixture in the garage whenever I was in the there playing around on the boat. It was usually a good excuse to have a couple of beers.

There will be more posts once I get around to doing the finishing touches on the boat. Thanks again everyone, cheers!

FIGMO

classiccat

STARCRAFT ON THE WATER!!!

She looks and performs fantastic on the water!!

Congrats on a wonderful build and successful splash!

Thank you for taking us along for the ride!

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Congratulations on the splash and walleye limits!!

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Love the large livewell. Plus your hull rides high. I wish mine rode that high too.

Congrats on the splash!!!

SHSU