1973 starcraft ss restore in progress

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
Well my pic problem seems to be an internet explorer issue, as i am on the admirals outfit with google chrome and it looks to have posted pics. not much to see, cept last coat of epoxy, after a big shout out to all from the mob to numerous to mention, and a shot of my countersunk rivets, i was talking about smoothing over with marine tex along with seams, before vinyl. hopefully this weekend. again thanks to all for all you do, and jb for looking into my pic problem, ( hope ie starts to work, as i aint got chrome) but this works as long as the admiral:lol: is away

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Cool message for the future, I thought about doing that too.

Chrome is a free download and works way better, heck I even bought a Chromebook with the Chrome OS to get away from flakey MS.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
CC - Download Firefox. It's free and works better than IE. IE started having issues with the upgrade done in December and it works for some and doesn't work for others. Firefox and Chrome both work to post pics, but Firefox is less invasive about your privacy.

Glad you're back working on the SS. :thumb:

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
am now using chrome and believe it to be working better. i used the weekend to mock up my drivers dash with a piece of paneling, and then transferred the cutouts over to my 3/4 marine plywood. i had to router on back side for gauge brackets to fit as posts were not long enough on gauges. i think it turned out as planned. my plan is carbon fiber with a sheet of lexan over that. and i thought 3m 90 adhesive to attach fiber after IMG_2547.JPGIMG_2553.JPGIMG_2554.JPG epoxy on wood. what do you all think of that idea? ( ps , i did realize i had my rack and pinion in backwards, before drilling the 3 holes to hold in place, look 3 times before drilling lol.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
small guages said drill a 2 1/16 hole and tach said 3 3/8 . i didnt have hole saws for that so used a 2 1/8 , and 3 1/2 which was oversize 1 /16 on small gauges and 1/8 on tach , but my bezels are wide enough and i will have some epoxy in there, so at least for my fairia gauges a little oversize hole worked out fine

Watermann

Sounds like a solid plan to me, should hold up over the years no problem.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
CCB awesome idea on the message part. Good work on console face. Coming along nicely.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
got my lexan, cut and holes drilled for gauges and such. my method was to tape the glass with painters tape. keep my cut line close as possible to table edge, and go slow with a jig saw and 14 tpi metal blade and worked real well for me. then onto the round gauge and stereo holes, as for that i sandwiched the glass between a scrap plywood and my plywood dash cut outs, got everything in line and clamped it and used a drill press with appropriate hole saw. plan worked well for me

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
next , i put 2 coats of clark /craft , 2 part epoxy on my wood dash panels, ( 4 coats on all edges ) , let dry over weekend , and will take a little sander IMG_2567.JPG to smooth over before applying the composite fiber sheet

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
IMG_2568.JPGIMG_2570.JPG
next i applied the composite sheet to front of both dash boards ( leaving plenty around edges to cut later with exacto knife) and then sandwiched them with a paper towel between them , and let sit overnight with 50# of weights on them

Watermann

so far so good! next is to get to work on trim pieces

Oh yeah the fiber looks great and stuck tight :thumb:

fetch