1973 MFG Gypsy 16 I/O

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought a 1973 MFG 16' that was barley used and garage kept. And it came with EVERYTHING all the original curtains and covers all paperwork and books. Sitting on its original TeeNee trailer. Other than a little stain on carpet and a little fade that comes off easy on the deck it would be hard pressed to guess it was ever used.

Attachments

• photo225875.jpg
    photo225875.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo225876.jpg
    photo225876.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
  • photo225877.jpg
    photo225877.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have to transfer paperwork first. Hope to try it out this weekend.

She came with everything I think you could get extra. Even came with a 3.9 merc outboard that was used as a trolling motor. About same year as boat and looks just as good. Only non original part is the lowerance fish finder.

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Need some opinions on a transom ladder, came with a hang on side ladder. I want to mount a permanent or removable rear ladder. I want something that is solid. Any ideas?

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was looking at this style, how strong is it with the mount so close together? And is it an issue with stress at the transom?

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also opinion on this style vers upper mount on gunwale and lower on transom? Storage cover snaps on below the rubrail so if mounted high it needs to come off.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

It depends on how you plan to use the ladder. I you are into watersports and swimming, you probably will want a design with a three or more steps and with a short platform if it doesn't interfere with the motor/drive operation. Unfortunately, most of what I've seen are made of tubular aluminum or stainless steel and are and feel flimsy. I have these designs on my boat both front and rear.

I have a friend that found a uber strong step (made from solid rod aluminum) that he put on his fishing boat (rarely uses it for other activities) called The Rescue Step. I've never seen such a robust and simple design before, It is designed to also be deployed from the water in case you fall out and have no one to help you get back in. Seems like it has a very low profile when it is in its stowed position.

Not sure if this style is what you are looking for, but here's the link to their website if you're interested.

Attachments

• photo226290.jpg
    photo226290.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
This is the one I just picked up for my fishing boat ..

It takes a 3 " hole in the transom to install and the aluminum tube slides down the gunwale .. It folds up into the tube .. Kinda cool actually ..
As long as your transom is sound there should be no problem using either type ..

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thinking of using 3 step fold up pontoon style with pockets in the gunwale and pinned or keyed mount on the transom. I kinda like the upright loops to help you. With the lift off feature I can still use the factory storage cover.

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On to the next problem. I have all the original canvas covers. None fit. Everything's shrunk. Can something be done or do I need to have new ones made? Capet is dry rotten also. It will have to wait until fall.

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Got top stretched out. Wow what a smell.

Attachments

• photo226407.jpg
    photo226407.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 0

woosterken

Lieutenant
I heard if you wet them a little then put them on to dry they will stretch.
my '74 looks like yours,but mine is 17'2" l.o.a and has the lapstrak sides
ken

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
next problem

Getting ready to pull my hair out, both tanks shot from years of old fuel left in them. want to replace them with plastic or alu. Problem is the odd size. Where can I find replacements for a Tempo 252565???

Looks to be 7" high X 13" wide X 37" long. supposed to be 12 gal.

This thing has 2 of them and space is very tight.
They are under each seat. No where else to put a tank at.

By the way what I great idea to put all the gauges at the controls except the fuel gauge, you have to stop, lift each seat and look at the manual gauge, that was real smart. It didn't need a fuel gauge on the dash but it sure benefits from that vacuum gauge. What were they thinking???

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You may have to get someone to build a set to your measurements ..

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You may have to get someone to build a set to your measurements ..

That's an obvious choice for any tank, I'm looking for something that is already made. Not like its an odd shape, its just small rectangle box.

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did the weld repair. Manifold not so good, but block did great