1973 ISLANDER REFIT

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Watermann definitely knows from where he speaks. (New beard too! :LOL: )

I personally wouldn't want to go through something like this... o_O

Yeah 😂 I added a Merc God raised gel decal to my 115 and liked the look. :cool:

20210423_160643.jpg

DarrinT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Watermann definitely knows from where he speaks. (New beard too! :LOL: )

I personally wouldn't want to go through something like this... o_O

Watermann has a rockin fleet of Tinnies!

Check this old thread

DarrinT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So its been more that a year as life gets in the way
Back at it off and on for past couple months
Pulled outdrive new seals impeller and oil
Running OK usually only needs points after sitting all winter
Ran last Sept 2020 so this time I will have to invest in wires plugs and cap/rotor - to do
Pic after interior rip out:
IMG_1140.JPG
Zero corrosion as she's always been a freshwater boat
The strip of alu in pic is a modified piece of this:
IMG_1139.JPG
Its an aluminum decking system - I bought their plain non powder coated seconds - the stuff with flaws they couldn't sell $400 cdn.
It locks together to form a water proof roof and I'm gonna cover it with indoor/outdoor sacrificial carpet that will be replaced as needed.
Alu planks going in crosswise and the strip will secure it at the side/bottom joint.
Boat wouldn't fit in garage and buddies farm is too far away so we built this:IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The gangs pretty much all still here, welcome back.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
So its been more that a year as life gets in the way
Back at it off and on for past couple months
Pulled outdrive new seals impeller and oil
Running OK usually only needs points after sitting all winter
Ran last Sept 2020 so this time I will have to invest in wires plugs and cap/rotor - to do
Pic after interior rip out:
View attachment 363603
Zero corrosion as she's always been a freshwater boat
The strip of alu in pic is a modified piece of this:
View attachment 363604
Its an aluminum decking system - I bought their plain non powder coated seconds - the stuff with flaws they couldn't sell $400 cdn.
It locks together to form a water proof roof and I'm gonna cover it with indoor/outdoor sacrificial carpet that will be replaced as needed.
Alu planks going in crosswise and the strip will secure it at the side/bottom joint.
Boat wouldn't fit in garage and buddies farm is too far away so we built this:View attachment 363605

View attachment 363606
Hey, welcome back can I ask where you got the aluminum planking? I’m trying to find a supplier that has some and a wood grain. Wondering if these guys have it. The guys I’m trying to get it through are very unreliable. To the point where I’ve sourced it in the US considering the freedom brokerage/customs fees. This is great product. However that being said are you worried that there’s going to be any torsional flex with this system? Meaning and I’m not sure if it’s needed but to keep the boat from twisting under power and waves

DarrinT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Need the clearance for rivet bucking
Found five rivets missing
Any Islander folks out there in the STARMADA have any luck finding plastic fuel tanks that will fit in place of the twin tanks on the Roamer model?
Also have struck a deal with one of my handy buddies to partner up to finish her off.
He has got a heated garage and the time and skills !

airshot

Rear Admiral
I used an aluminum 25 gallon square tank, installed inside a box that created the passenger seat. Made same box on drivers side but used as storage. At planning speed ( 22 mph) I had a 100 plus mile cruising range.

DarrinT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used an aluminum 25 gallon square tank, installed inside a box that created the passenger seat. Made same box on drivers side but used as storage. At planning speed ( 22 mph) I had a 100 plus mile cruising rangeI
I was hoping to increase bunkerage on board cause she regularly gets used in the wilds of Georgian Bay where, on occasion ,only 100 mile range would mean putting in for fuel or making a special fuel run from the campsite.
I still have one fuel tank that is a custom 65 liter (17 G) diamond plate one that fits under the front seat but it will likely need that spray sealer that radiator shops can do that I have heard tell of elsewhere on these forums.
The original tanks rusted out and were tossed.
So she had 34 gallon capacity and sometimes that wasn't enough! So I took to always carrying a 5 gallon outboard tank for the kicker but leaving it unmixed., with another 5 gallon plastic jug on the other side of the engine bay behind the seats.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I was hoping to increase bunkerage on board cause she regularly gets used in the wilds of Georgian Bay where, on occasion ,only 100 mile range would mean putting in for fuel or making a special fuel run from the campsite.
I still have one fuel tank that is a custom 65 liter (17 G) diamond plate one that fits under the front seat but it will likely need that spray sealer that radiator shops can do that I have heard tell of elsewhere on these forums.
The original tanks rusted out and were tossed.
So she had 34 gallon capacity and sometimes that wasn't enough! So I took to always carrying a 5 gallon outboard tank for the kicker but leaving it unmixed., with another 5 gallon plastic jug on the other side of the engine bay behind the seats.
Whoa....your making some long runs....by all means, you don't want try paddling that Islander !!

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
Nice Islander! I love the sleek lines of those boats. You are indeed making some long runs! I too like to be out as long as I possibly can be and have gone through loads of fuel at times and once barely made it and I had used up 3 6-gallon external kicker motor tanks in addition to the 38 gallons internal capacity of my Starchief. 56 gallons in a 18 aluminum is a ride lol How many gallon capacity are you hoping to have ideally? I'm putting Huge tanks in my current project this time around. They don't have to always be full right?!