1973 Evinrude 9.5 hp fell while underway

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman
I was out salmon fishing yesterday in Puget Sound and was moving from one spot to another. I had pulled the kicker motor up (the evinrude 9,5 hp) and was underway when i hit a couple of good waves and it caused the klicker motor to slam down to the trolling position. I stopped the boat and lifted the motor back up and continued to the spot I was heading to. Reading fish like crazy on the finder I lowered the 9,5 into position and tried pulling the stater rope and it was hard to pull. After taking off the hood i was shifting the gear lever from nuetral to forwad and noticed the whole powerhead lifting when i shifted into forward gear. Something is out of alignment or something must have gotten bent when the motor fell down.
Anyone have any ideas what kind of damage I may have gotten or a place to start looking for issues?
I did not run the motor after this and was able to use the main motor but I do prefer the kicker. I am hoping to get some leads on what may have happened.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Evinrude 9.5 hp fell while underway

strange, you sure it wasn't in reverse and the motor was tilting up since the catch on the bottom didn't engage...if not then id take a real slow look around the motor to see what broke.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

The whole powerhead lifted when you put it into forward? I suspect you may have broken the motor mounts when it slammed down hard.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree with TN_25. It's not a bad job replacing them if you've done some before.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Agree with TN_25. It's not a bad job replacing them if you've done some before.

I hate doing them on the 9.5hp, lol They are notorious for bad mounts, shaking the ignition and killing the motor. The repair is usually more than the motor is worth, so they are left I that state. I have a bunch like that.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

HighTrim, I did a lot of them and once you do a few of them they're simple. If I could do one today it would be easy.

Last edited:

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman

HighTrim, I did a lot of them and once you do a few of them they're simple. If I could do one today it would be easy.

I will send it right out boobie.....hehe. Not sure i want to tackle a broken motor mount but it is winter here almost. I have a mechanic buddy that helped me rebuild my merc 9.8 so I may just strip it down out at his place and see if i can get enough parts to fix it. The merc is on loan to him...unless I need it so I do have an option for fishing next weekend if needed.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I will see if I can't get a look at it tomorrow afternoon.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The OP should first determine whether the mounts are broken or not. It may have been lifting the powerhead because it was not running and the clutch dog and forward gear weren't lined up. We're all familiar with that.

Quick, easy check for the upper front mount (the one that usually breaks) is to grab hold of the flywheel and see if you can move the powerhead fore and aft. It should have a slight rubbery movement, but not flop back and forth loosely.

Anyhoo, all that said, I doubt any of that is the problem as to why he couldn't start it. He said it was hard to pull. I can't think of any relationship between that symptom and the falling down from tilt position. It should start and run regardless of mounts condition. Something else is wrong here. Inspection required. Hydro locked?????

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman

F_R,

You are absolutely right, the mounts are not broken as I just got done checking them by doing exactly what you described. The motor seems to be locked in two gears or something. You mentioned the clutch dog and forward gear thing. Is there a way to check that? Also will go back out and pull the plugs and see if it turns freely. And see if any water spits out the spark plug holes to determine if it is indeed a hydro lock.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

By the clutch dog issue, all I was saying was that with the motor not running, you may have to turn the flywheel or give the prop a spin to allow the gears to "fit" or snap into place. It is physically impossible for it to be in two gears at the same time.

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman

Ok, understood, Just pulled the plugs and tried to pull the starter rope and still the massive resistance, will try spinning the prop and see if that helps the issue.

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman

Problem solved! It was just the clutch dog issue and a quick spin of the prop while holding the gear shifter towards reverse it locked in and is working normally. Just finished running it in the can and it ran beautifully with no issues.
thanks to F_R and everyone for all the replies and ideas.
This is something i have never encountered before and had no idea it would be so simple to fix. What a blessing it is to come into a forum with so much knowledge and experience.
Thanks to all I am off fishing again this coming weekend!

iwombat

Captain

Arrow, good luck this weekend. And just so you know, Sea-Way on Alki carries everything you'll ever need for that 9.5.