1973 9.8hp Mercury BOGGS down at WOT

Zartar1

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
8
I recently purchased a 1973 Mercury 110, motor is in good shape. Owner had it for 20 yrs, and used it as his kicker. He said it had some Carburator issues when I boat from him, messed around with it for a bit, turned out the float wasn't working propperly.

The motor starts, idles GREAT!!!!!! but as soon as I put into gear and crank the throttle, the motor boggs right down and seems like its almost flooding. As soon as I release the throttle to idle, it burns blue smoke like crazy for about 30 sec, and returns to normal. I did get it to run good at WOT for about 10 seconds, even cracked my bucket, but haven't gotten it to do it since.

already checked:
-spark plugs
-spark wires
-points
-fuel pump
-carb
-gonna check compression tonight, had to find a gauge.
-ignition coils seem good, not sure what to look for ??

Any idea out there ???? would love to have this motor running :)
 

Gibbles

Commander
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
2,050
Re: 1973 9.8hp Mercury BOGGS down at WOT

Could be alot of things

if it were me I would buy a gallon can of carb cleaner/soak from the local auto parts store, take the carb apart and let it soak for a good 24hrs

the fuel mixture could also be way off, timing could be off, could be running on one cylinder...

I would start with the carb and a new set of sparkplugs and then work in it from there.

Also I think that engine was designed to be run with a 50:1 mixture
 

Zartar1

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
8
Re: 1973 9.8hp Mercury BOGGS down at WOT

I've already completely rebuilt the carb, I've got spark on both plugs, and I have a fresh tank of 50:1 gas. I did pick up some Lucas fuel line treatment, I haven't put it in yet, I wasn't sure if there is a special type for outboards that I should be using instead.
 

Zartar1

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
8
Re: 1973 9.8hp Mercury BOGGS down at WOT

Could be alot of things

if it were me I would buy a gallon can of carb cleaner/soak from the local auto parts store, take the carb apart and let it soak for a good 24hrs

the fuel mixture could also be way off, timing could be off, could be running on one cylinder...

I would start with the carb and a new set of sparkplugs and then work in it from there.

Also I think that engine was designed to be run with a 50:1 mixture

I've already completely rebuilt the carb, I've got spark on both plugs, and I have a fresh tank of 50:1 gas. I did pick up some Lucas fuel line treatment, I haven't put it in yet, I wasn't sure if there is a special type for outboards that I should be using instead. I thought it could be timing as well, but this machine has no way of adjusting the timing.
 
Top