1973 65 hp motor will not start

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have a 1973 65 hp motor on my boat. It will not start. I have checked the spark on all three plugs and I am getting spark. checked the the full lines and they seam to be OK. Any body have any ideas? or what to check nest. Thanks Trains1938

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
how long has it been since it was last run? make sure you have good gas, the choke is working properly and the carbs are not plugged.

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got it started today. however it is missing on one plug. Very hard to start and will not keep running.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those motors in very poor condition will still start.---Do the compression test.---The did have a habit off breaking the piston skirts and then popped a hole in the crankcase !

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, Long time since I wrote anything. I rechecked the spark using a timing light not getting spark some of the time. It seems like after the motor has set a couple of days I don't get spark. After I crank on it for a while, the spark comes back. Then it runs and will start every time I try it as lone as it is within a few hours. let it set over night. Then it will not start again. Took into a boat repair place and they told me that the power pack was bad, Replaced the power pack and started and ran just fine at the boat repair place. Had it started one time after that and that's when the #1 cylinder started to miss. Shut it down and have not been able to get it started since. Have taken it to the boat repair place again and he got it started but it was missing on the #1 cylinder so I left it there.