1973 - 65 HP Evinrude throttle/choke linkage

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everybody,

I am working on a 1973 65 HP Evinrude (65373R) and need a little assistance. I disassembled the carbs in order to soak them overnight in carb dip, and after putting everythign back together I have this extra spring. I remember where it went, but I don't think it was in the correct place when I started. It was on the middle carb throttle shaft, and it hooked under the plate on the end of that shaft. The other end just stuck up in the air. Also, my choke plates don't spring all the way back open when the solenoid lets go of the plunger. I think I'm missing the spring inside the solenoid, but they were working fine before. I would really appreciate it if someone with this motor could post closeup pics of the throttle and choke linkage of all 3 carbs. Purdy please????

Thanks,
Todd

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1973 - 65 HP Evinrude throttle/choke linkage

It's actually part #54 on the intake manifold diagram that I need to know about. I'm pretty sure I've got everything else back like it was. Ideally, if I didn't change any of the linkage, it should be adjusted just like it was before. That #54 spring is questionable though. I'm not sure of its purpose.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1973/65373R/INTAKE MANIFOLD/parts.html#

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

That spring is used to hold the choke plates open, it is overcome by the plunger in the choke solenoid. If you look at it closely you will see how it attaches to hold the choke plates open.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is what I thought it was for, but I'm not sure I have it installed correctly. I'm not sure it was installed correctly when I started. The end of it didn't seem to attach to anything. The parts diagram is not very clear on where it goes, so that's why I was requesting a pic. Thanks for your responses Daviet and Gun Dog.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Look at the parts diagram and you can kind of see the curves on the ends. The ends don't attach to anything, each end rests on the linkages. It's hard to explain, I will see if I can find a picture somewhere.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I understand the principle of the spring, and I feel that I have it mounted in the correct location (spring coils on the plastic retainer holding throttle linkage onto throttle shaft plate, and the hook loops around the throttle shaft and catches the plate on the end of the shaft), but mine doesn't have a hook on the end that should attach to the choke linkage. And my choke linkage doesn't have those adjustable clamps on it. I took a pic of mine so maybe you could see what I'm talking about.

Choke Spring (5).jpg

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

These photos should help. The spring wraps around the throttle linkage. It just rests, with pressure, no attachment.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 8
  • ch.jpg
    ch.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 8

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Todd57, In looking at your photo I noticed the spring on the choke shaft lever is on the wrong side of the lobe. Should be on the back side pushing down.

Attachments

• ch2.jpg
    ch2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 7

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gun Dog,
In those pics, the spring isn't even touching the choke rod. It is wrapped around the throttle linkage.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ya, I put it back after I took the pic. I was playing with it, because the choke plates were not fully closing when I'd work the choke switch at the remote controls, and they aren't fully opening back up when it releases, because this spring is not attached correctly.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your correct. The throttle linkage. Give me a break just woke up.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hehe, so did I. And if you look at the time stamp on my post, I didn't get much sleep last night. My point was not to criticize, but to clarify. Daviet says that the purpose of the spring is to hold the choke plates open, and your isn't even touching the choke plate linkages. I'm starting to wonder if yours is hooked up right either. :confused:

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope you weren't up at 3 am thinking about the carb! The throttle spring shouldn't have any thing to do with the choke plate. Re check to make sure nothing is binding. Everything in the photo, except the spring looks OK. Is the linkage to the other carbs free and working smoothly? Double check the choke valve to rod attachment inside the throttle body.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any update!

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes. Sorry. I just put mine on like yours, and everything seems to be working fine. At first my choke plates were not popping back open when I would release the electric choke, but I gave the shafts a little squirt of WD-40 where they go into the carb, and everything is working good now. Now I'm just waiting on my stern bracket to come in, so I can replace that and get this puppy on the water.

BTW, this should probably be another post, but. . .

The port side stern bracket broke all the way thru right at the point that it meets the top of the stern. My dad had it welded back several years ago, but it broke again the last time I took the boat out to test it. I don't know if I am trailering the motor correctly. I tilt it all the way up, and lock the tilt, then push in the trailer lock pin. It seems like that puts a huge amount of stress on that point of the transom bracket. Any thoughts on that?

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good to hear.

...there are several good post on this subject. I feel and believe most manuals do not recommend using the tilt lock for trailering. That very well could be the reason for the failure. I don't think a weld would have been the best fix for a break at that stress point thus the second failure. I trailer my manual tilt with a transom saver, resting the lower unit in the mount and the other end attached to the trailer with a quick release pin. I trailer my Hydraulic T&T unit with one also. However I lower the motor into the mount and leave a little bit of weight on the T&T. I keep a good eye on my transom and lower unit and have seen no adverse affects with this method. I don't believe that tilt locks were designed for the weight of the motor while trailering.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a transom saver in my hand today at Academy, but I was also buying a cover for the boat, so I decided to put it back until next trip. The spousal unit might have a meltdown if I spent that much on one trip to Academy. The one I was looking at had a shock absorber built into it. It also said to only use it on motors that had power TNT. The reason I didn't have one on the motor before is because the stern of the boat was overlapping the last keel roller, so I couldn't get the curved end to fit on that. Plus I didn't realize they made them to mount to a bracket on the trailer, like the one I looked at today. I'm definitely picking one up on my next trip there. Also going to get some straps to cinch down the stern to the trailer, so there's no chance of the motor jumping off the transom saver.

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread again for helping me out on my issue. I've been reading this forum almost every day since early May, and I have learned soooo much about outboards. Love this place!!!

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the transom straps keep everything nice and snug. This way the motor is less likely to bounce around in the transom saver.