1973 16' Starcraft Super Sport new to me

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
I’m also very tempted to strip and polish the sides of this little thing kinda like the rear transom. I also got a piece of 1/2” 6061 for the rear plate that sandwiches between the ETEC and the transom just need to cut it to shape. Shapiro metals out of STL. Prolly grab some marine Tex for the inner splash well. Haven’t been able to get a good look at it due to it got dark on me by the time I finished with the pressure washer.
anyways. Comments and recommendations welcome !!!!!
SMG

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It's tough finding a pre-fab belly tank that will fit these old boats the way you want without some sort of modification. The tanks rest on neoprene strips on top the ribs or like my SS the tank is flat bottom and has a bed also with neoprene. The hold downs depends on the tank but they usually are AL tabs or angles that also have some neoprene padding.

y4moYX5iWlBiJZwkyUGu8id_oLdLJ2STeitRS0cst6WkZe-ovBybQhHyu0qLr17OSDKpngoVw559TLIw80gxTxRfY-bD2zSxtrv6Uy7jTUQaJ8VNn_wgonyaUaxBJuWfl2JBXbHQ7sdwDMOnHghFQJ7X0whjFsFPX-wC1my4FqgFUsP5TY85CQefRb0MbQY0ZNltC-0qCQWnkSimfeHSEdTTQ

Watermann

V belly tank in my Chief.

IMAG1377.JPG

Attachments

• IMAG1377.JPG
    IMAG1377.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 0

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Neoprene. That’s what it was. Thx waterman.

whar thickness did you end up going. I’ll try and dig into ur Resto thread again. Been away from the iboats forum to long.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Got the quote back from the customer tank folks... Kinda spendy but iIm gonna roll with it. gotta fine tune the measurements tonight and then pull the trigger on Monday prolly.... Picking up some stripper tonight as well after work and some lumber tomorrow. Gonna build a drydock for this little guy and start with a fresh slate... More pics to come over the weekend hopefully.

BTW.. what does the bottom support of this look like? I have one that is teak that I rebuilt years ago and the one top side connection to the transom is clear to me.. but I'll need to support the inner side from underneath... Anyone have a pic they can share?

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/medi...outboard-swim-platform-with-2-step-ladder.jpg

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
+1 for customer tank

Yep, they are spendy but I think worth it. Allowed me to move weight forward and gives the aft area a much cleaner look. If your able make sure they build a couple anchor points into the tank for attaching to your ribs.

SHSU

Watermann

I would pass on a step that has a bottom support and only one handle to grab onto above. Unless of course you have the transom that's cut out really wide and a single is all that'll work. I installed this one on a friends 65 Holly, the telescopic ladder is a must.

Click image for larger version  Name:	step.jpg Views:	2 Size:	55.7 KB ID:	10898351

Attachments

• step.jpg
    step.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Well we have a dry dock. Not much progress other than this and gathering materials.

32c08a50-7163-4042-b404-a9ba5573f91e

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Mods, Just curious what I need to do to have the link updated in my signature so that it drills down into my thread?

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
I dunno, if the Starmada doesn’t like the play by play of my updates let me know. It helps me keep the project form loosing steam on my end however.
more pics. One side, one pass of the stripper. No. NOT that stripper come on geez.
Click image for larger version  Name:	60A4AEF1-D729-4B91-8824-68ACF4508721.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	102.8 KB ID:	10900359

Attachments

• 1F4A26C1-288E-44AD-BDFC-7929F307A612.jpeg
    1F4A26C1-288E-44AD-BDFC-7929F307A612.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Nice! Drydock AND naked! :lol: Is the plan to still polish?

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Nice! Drydock AND naked! :lol: Is the plan to still polish?

Yep. That’s the plan. I think I bought the same zephyr stuff I seen used in your thread. All that stuff should be here in the neelxt week. Hopefully have the other side round one stripper done tonight. I think I figured the knack of how much to apply and was adding flour I seen from some other person. I found the trick to not brush it on to much as it sort of thins it out to much. A simple paint the fence left to right once resulted in the best results. Then dipping brush again 1/2 to 3/4 and doing it again. Prolly in 3ft sections. Set a timer for 10 mins and it would mostly just fall off. Pic of products sbove. Very happy with it

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
BTW, Also found a local guy who is going to be sandblasting and epoxy painting my trailer here in the next week or so. Super reasonable. Just going with bright white for the color.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
One more question for you gurus. Should I be pulling this out and washing it off every night after putting this stripper to it do I?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I don't think that it's going to harm the aluminum by not washing it each night however it is easier to get the little bits off before it dries.

for the polishing, make sure you have a good respirator and face covering; Its a job definitely worth doing outdoors due to all of the sticky black crud that gets generated.

When you're done I'll tell you how I really feel about polishing! :lol:

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Play by play is the best way!!

As for stripping, I am with classiccat wouldn't expect it to cause issues other then a PIA once dry.

On a side note, did I read right that you want to polish the hull? Just curious, seen another guys do it, but don't know how long the "polish" lasts before oxidizing and such.

SHSU