1973 16' SS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1973 16' SS build

I used some meguires metal polish on the pieces that had mild build up but
90% of it was the way you see it. I only used plastic polish on the windshields and left the frames alone.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

100 Posts! I usually just troll forums and post hear and there but this is the place that I am most active.

Here are some updates, I did not like any of the seat mounts sold online or in the store because they are either out of my budget or did not spread the load out as much as I would like. So since the previous owner of my house left us with some really good 3/4" plywood I made some simple boxes. They came out ok for my first time using a table saw. They will be covered with either vinyl or carpet. I also picked up some new speakers for cheap.

I had my brother tackle the vinyl for the consoles and he has only been able to finish on side. He should have the other side done for me for the holiday weekend.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Is the white material under the dash Vinyal or painted bow look real nice.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good for "first time using a table saw". If my boxes for the stern turn out nearly as good as those....Id be happy with them :D. You gonna leave the front of the boxes open? If so.... It would be a great place to put stuff in.... like an open mini storage...small tackle box might fit nicely under there :)

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SPLASH!!!

It is great to be back on the water. The weather is perfect but the motor is being picky and I have been using the trolling motor to get me to a nice shady spot. I am going to take the carbs off again and clean them.

Is the white material under the dash Vinyal or painted bow look real nice.

It's vinyl. It is all one piece of fabric but it is stapled and cut so the seams are hidden. It was done the same way on the original.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

It's vinyl. It is all one piece of fabric but it is stapled and cut so the seams are hidden. It was done the same way on the original.

Nice job on the splash!..... where did you get the vinyl if I may ask losd?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Great progress you've made here. I don't care what anybody says, that avocado color shows real class! Carpet, seats & boxes look great too. Just curious, how are you fastening the boxes to the floor?

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great progress you've made here. I don't care what anybody says, that avocado color shows real class! Carpet, seats & boxes look great too. Just curious, how are you fastening the boxes to the floor?

I love the color and every time I'm at the launch everyone loves it or has to comment on it. I am going to reuse the angle aluminum from the original back to back seats.

And proof that it was wet. I tore apart the carbs again last night and everything looks good, I checked the level on both floats and that was within specs. It still does not want to run well and it floods out very easy. The coil wiring does have some sheathing that is melted and I removed the coil and I am going to check the resistance and see if that is within spec. I'm guessing not.

Proof for the picture mob.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Love seeing these ol' boats in the water, excellent!:)

dozerII

Admiral

Great to see you got her out on the water, I'm hoping to get the 72 out for the first time this weekend.
Glen

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had a great weekend on the water. I did break down and take the boat to a friend that does outboard and had him check out the running issues. It needed more fine tuning with the carbs and he changed the timing. It ran great after.

It did survive two storms and lots of rain between the sunshine. One of the storms was producing 80mph winds not to far from where we stayed.

More pictures.

I tried to get video but my camera did not like how bright it was and was washed out.

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had a great weekend on the water. I did break down and take the boat to a friend that does outboard and had him check out the running issues. It needed more fine tuning with the carbs and he changed the timing. It ran great after.

It did survive two storms and lots of rain between the sunshine. One of the storms was producing 80mph winds not to far from where we stayed.

More pictures.

I tried to get video but my camera did not like how bright it was and was washed out.

Thats freakin' awesome!!! Good to FINALLY see that old girl running! Lesson learned is them Spirit / Suzuki's are finnicky with their carbs and timing, eh? Good Show LOSD!! So when we going fishing (My boat or yours or BOTH! :eek:)!?

Chuck

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Starcraft on the water! Yes! This is encouraging. Now you can come help me put foam under my floor this weekend!

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright I'm still around but have been busy and winter is done. I am changing out the boxes for a nice set of pedestal mounts that I got from my brother. I still need to mount them to the floor but they will work nicer then what I was going to use. I will save them for the bench seat that I picked up. I will get some pictures before the pitchforks come out.

I had a bearing explode in the lower unit and I was able to find a killer deal on a used one. Here it is all cleaned and installed. While I was in there I replaced the impeller and gaskets. Much easier then I was thinking.

I cut out some dash panels and have the first coat of spar drying right now.

I picked up a nice wheel for $49!! Polished stainless with a spinner knob. Local plastic ones are $45.

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright I'm still around but have been busy and winter is done. I am changing out the boxes for a nice set of pedestal mounts that I got from my brother. I still need to mount them to the floor but they will work nicer then what I was going to use. I will save them for the bench seat that I picked up. I will get some pictures before the pitchforks come out.

I cut out some dash panels and have the first coat of spar drying right now.

What type of wood did you use?

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.