1972 Thundercraft

tailwheel234

Cadet
Well, Hello all! I should start out to say, that this is about my first boat! I just inherited a 1972 Thundercraft.... not sure on the model or length, just picked it up last night...It is an open bow try-hull with two double seats in the rear that convert to benches, and double benches in front with storage beneath.. It is in what appears to be GREAT shape! It was winterized extremely well when it was parked, and has been under a cover and inside a protected shed ever since..... but that was about 15 years ago! It was moved out into the daylight a year ago now with the top removed with the intention of getting back into service, but that never happened.

It has been outfitted with a 65HP Evinrude instead of the factory Chrysler engine. Everything looks to be intact onboard except some small things like the speedo hose is broken in the back and little stuff like that. The seats and cushions are in unbelievable shape, just need a little cleaning on them and I think they will be alright.

Planning on taking it to a friends outboard repair shop and let him check compressions, and carbs and all on Sat. I am not all marine engine savvy so I figure it is safer to have a professional look into it even if it costs a little. If the motor checks out good (or only needs minimum work) I will move on with getting the rest of the boat ship shape.

Second on my list is to pull the wheels and tires on the old trailer and re-bearing them and maybe even put new wheels and DEFINITELY new tires on it, just so i don't have to worry about that while lugging the boat around being repaired and all.

Beyond that, the typical clean out of random leaves and sticks from the interior, and removal of owner installed Cobra CB radio!

I will say, I am new to boat restoration/repair, but have grown up a lot on the water with others and newer boats.... are there any suggestions on other steps that I should look into to assure a good day on the water?

Look forward to the comments and hope to be on the water soon!

dondi

Seaman
Re: 1972 Thundercraft

welcome aboard, this is a great place you chose, i to have a thundercraft, 1985 i am always here asking questions. (newbee) to boating also

tailwheel234

Cadet

Ok, so last night I got the first start of cleaning out the Thundercraft....... Removed the Cobra 19 (Don't think it worked) and got a lot of the collected sticks and other randomness out. Emptied out the front storage and tossed a couple life preservers (Mental note: buy new ones, the ones form 1972 probably aren't gonna save me!). We did hook up a new battery on board and bumped the started to see how the engine sounds..... and WOW!!! It spun great, s off to the outboard buddy Sat morning to see if it will fire on some ears! I am looking forward to that part.... if all goes well at that point, next stop is the lake for a test sea trial!

I do have a question.... as you might can see in the pics, I have a HUGE cleaning process ahead of me. What is best recommended for cleaning the "gunk" that has built up on the fiberglas?

Also, I noticed a second drain plug on the rear a little lower than the plug hole that drains the floor.... whats this one for? I tried to un screw it, but seems to be seized on there or in REAL tight.... square head started to round off so i stopped and thought I would seek more experienced help. Is this something I should try to remove, or just let it be? Where does it drain?

Here is a link to pics of the boat.......
http://philipmadison.zenfolio.com/p570853259

Thanks for any and all help in advance!!

Thanks!!!

etracer68

Ensign

Take some pics of this plug, inside and outside. Cant say what it was for, pics speak better in most cases.

tailwheel234

Cadet

Ok, i will see about getting a pic of the lower plug. I can only get an outside shot of it though... it is below the floor on the inside.... about 3 or so inches below the drain hole that is lined up with the floor on the back transom. Photo to follow shortly.....

Thanks!

tailwheel234

Cadet

Here is a photo of the plug in question.....

Thanks....

Attachments

• Lower Plug.jpg
    Lower Plug.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 0

etracer68

Ensign

That is the drian for the bilge. It should unscrew, and its a pipe thread. The one above, im not sure, you will have to see where it goes to.

tailwheel234

Cadet

I guess that means that I will have to get some VIce Grips on it and just see if I can get it out of there.....
hopefully I can do it without breaking anything, but I am sure the square heads will round off on me. And I assume that I can just get any pipe plug to replace it???

The upper one got into the main floor.... its just above the floor like where you walk inside the boat. I think it is meant to allow water draining from the front storage boxes to run across the flooring and out the back.

bullcity101

Seaman

You got it! the one above the square plug should have a rubber plug that you can get from any marine store, or even walmart. For the square bildge plug, try a cresent wrench. It should square up on it pretty good. Spray some pb blaster in there and soak it for a few.

tailwheel234

Cadet

Thanks... I quite literally have had the boat for 2 days, it came from a relative who kept it mostly inside, until the last couple years..... motor is in great shape, but I am wondering about that bilge area now.....

Anyway to check for any rotting that might be going on in there? I haven't done any work to the flooring in it yet because it all seems to be in good shape.... is the floor fiberglas or wood? Its completely covered in outdoor carpeting and I can't tell without tearing some up.

southkogs

Staff member

Lookin' to me like someone replaced the floor, and didn't cut a low point for the bilge in the back (usually there is some sort of a square-ish trough in the stern to the lowest part of the transom. Since they did that, they added a drain hole above the floor, and one below. It's probably very important that you get that lower drain open and to a point where you can put it in and take it out. You don't want to trap moisture in that hull and ruin your wood.

My last boat was similar to yours but had the same motor. As long as you can keep 'em running (electric shift will be the only thing making it tougher), they are great motors.

Welcome aboard!

etracer68

Ensign

There are three screws that hold the bilge flange in. Make sure there still tight, if not use some 5200 sealent on them and reinstall them. Or if all else fails on getting the plug out, you can remove the three screws, and replace the whole thing. They sell them right here at IBoats, not a big buck item. Maybe $10.

tailwheel234

Cadet

Not sure about the floor replacement, my grandfather bought the boat new from a dealer back in 1972.... didn't say anything about ever redoing the flooring...... got me wondering now though.... he is 90 after all!

Motor looks to be in INCREDIBLE shape under the cover. Going to let a outboard tech friend check compression and look it over before starting it on Sat, but I can tell that it is not locked up, we bumped the started on it when hooking up a new battery on it and it turned over twice super smooth and quiet. Waiting to start it with him and make sure the water pump and everything else is in good shape.

You mentioned having the same motor..... was the electric shift an issue? I have never had one. And what mix did you run in it.... I am hearing 50:1 is the appropriate for a 1972 65HP Evinrude?

Thanks again... learning this older boat life as I go!

etracer68

Ensign

The motor questions would be best answered, if you post questions in the Johnson/Evinrude section. I think 50:1 for the motor, but differant then reg 90w marine for an electric shift.

southkogs

Staff member

You mentioned having the same motor..... was the electric shift an issue? I have never had one. And what mix did you run in it.... I am hearing 50:1 is the appropriate for a 1972 65HP Evinrude?
Funny part for me is that I've owned two electric shift outboards (50 and 65) and when I bought my I/O I wound up with one too. I've never owned anything except electric shift! (driven plenty of others and at my families cottage we have all sorts)

The electric shift outboards worked for me for years with NO problems. The I/O has been a little more finicky, but I've had less trouble with it than my dad has had with his 2002 I/O - so, they're fairly robust. Once they let go ... you've got to do some decision making. Mainly because parts are getting harder and harder to find and there are only a few techs who'll work on them if you get in over your head. But you can track stuff down if you're patient.

As far as operation ... I love the shifting of an electric shift. It's incredibly smooth and responsive. You'll notice three buttons on your controller: NEVER jump from F directly to R. Always make a stop at N on the way back and forth. It's way too hard on the gears to jam directly in. However, when you go from N to F, or R ... you have immediate thrust that (IMHO) is more responsive than a mechanical shift. I particularly like it in low speed maneuvering when I'm using power for steerage. I really can't praise it quite enough operationally.

You must put type C lube in the lower unit in order for it to shift properly. And I did run 50:1 in both of my outboards.

She'll make a mechanic outta' ya', but keep her shiny and well cared for and you'll run that OB for a long time.

tailwheel234

Cadet

Man I can't tell you how glad I am to hear you singing praise for the electric shift.... its a new thing for me, never have had any experience with one. I am hoping that it lasts for a long time to come. I got some cleaners last night and tonight plan on rewiring and replacing the trailer lights, cleaning up the sides and motor. And then in the morning headed over to the outboard tech friend for him to look it over.

Etracer68, you mentioned a difference in oil for an electric shift...... Southkogs, what did you run in yours? I just grabbed a pint of Johnson/Evrinrude 2-stroke oil for the mix at the store last night, and am hoping to pic up the jul and everything needed to change out the lower unit tonight...... any experience thoughts?

southkogs

Staff member

Southkogs, what did you run in yours? I just grabbed a pint of Johnson/Evrinrude 2-stroke oil for the mix at the store last night...
That's what I did too. Or like EZ says, "whatever is on sale."

For your lower unit gear lube, the electric shift needs the Type C lube. You may have to order it. If you use regular outboard lower unit lube, you'll have shifting issues. http://www.iboats.com/Type-C-Gear-Oil/dm/*******.020100663--session_id.246275408--view_id.45019
Order a little extra of this stuff. It can be hard to find locally, and you'll want to keep an eye on it and learn how often you need to change it. Seems like it should be an annual thing, but I sometimes change mine every other run depending on how hard I'm working the system or how the lube looks.

tcraft1

Cadet

Looks almost like my 74, Get her cleaned up and this is what she will look like. I am the third owner of this one.I added the force motor this year, real happy with it. The double plug holes are stock, my upper one does not have a bilge area either and the lower one is under the floor. You will love the room in your little boat, just watch out for big waves, these tri-hulls like calm water.BOAT AT RAMP.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

Looks almost like my 74, Get her cleaned up and this is what she will look like. I am the third owner of this one.I added the force motor this year, real happy with it. The double plug holes are stock, my upper one does not have a bilge area either and the lower one is under the floor. You will love the room in your little boat, just watch out for big waves, these tri-hulls like calm water.View attachment 155404
Wow ... that answers the question about the floor! Nice looking boat tcraft!