1972 Starcraft Chieftain 21ft IB/OB project

Hofty

Seaman
Folks,

I am embarking on a new leg of restoration. I have purchased this gem for a decent price and will be remodeling it and potentially repowering it with an In-board motor. So here are some questions for all of you.

1. Is an IB/OB conversion a suitable idea?
2. What sort of paint would I use to spray on the exterior and bottom?
- I have used Interlux bright-side in the past for topside with a roll-and-tip method but given I am going to be restoring this boat properly open to longevity options including 2-part polyurethane paints
3. Where does one start with the remodel?
Is it best to pull up the floor and lay down new marine grade plywood & fiberglass. So many options and I am open to all input.
I'd say my budget over next 2 years for just the boat remodel is $2,000-3,500 CAD.
I likely will pull out ALL electrical and start fresh. 1972 is OLD for those electrical components and oxidation is no ones friend.
4. Sealing all rivets. I do not like the idea of water infiltrating the rivets. Any good products known to seal up the rivet joints which can then be painted over?
5.What sort of in-board motor size would one suggest to drop in? I am currently thinking of a Mercury Mercruiser 3.0L with Alpha Two Drive. She doesn't come cheap. I have requested an estimate and likely around $12-15K CAD. Currently the motor in there; likely has a cracked block, due to no winterization (Hence why the owner is selling) and it is a Volvo Penta B20. I mean I can find a block for $299 on eBay but never rebuilt a motor. Likely best left for the professionals.
6. Let me know of any idea's you have as I am all ears.

On that note: It is a 2.0L motor and I'd prefer to make use of it to get her on the water in a shorter time so where does one start checking on where the crack in the block is or head gasket? (Water in the oil - Check picture). I have heard it could be a simple intake manifold crack and can be welded by the right person but also not a fool to know that it could also be a devastating crack. Previous owner mentioned that the freeze plugs were pushed out.

Any input is welcome. Critique. Poke a jab. Make fun. I'm wanting positive input to work with and make this a life long boat. See pictures attached
IMG_2603.JPGIMG_20230601_090622_01.jpg
IMG_2597.JPGimage000000 (2).jpgIMG_20230601_091119_01.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Mer

Attachments

• IMG_20230601_090622_01.jpg
    IMG_20230601_090622_01.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2603.JPG
    IMG_2603.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230601_090622_01.jpg
    IMG_20230601_090622_01.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 0

matt167

Rear Admiral
Just buy a cheap rotted glasser. Volvo was used in many old boats including bayliner if you don’t want to mess with the keyhole.
A 3.0L will run that fine. They were optioned with them if they came in the mercruiser flavor. My dad had a ‘73 with the 3.0L and it was fast enough. Gen 2 isn’t really necessary but you might be able to check that box…. $5-700 should buy a good running rotted glasser with a 3.0L.

Hofty

Seaman
Just buy a cheap rotted glasser. Volvo was used in many old boats including bayliner if you don’t want to mess with the keyhole.
A 3.0L will run that fine. They were optioned with them if they came in the mercruiser flavor. My dad had a ‘73 with the 3.0L and it was fast enough. Gen 2 isn’t really necessary but you might be able to check that box…. $5-700 should buy a good running rotted glasser with a 3.0L.
I live in The Fraser Valley of British Columbia, Canada. Ample Lakes, River system and Ocean. This boat as you know from your stock of boats is aluminum. I want this to be a one catches all situation. Fish on the lake/river/ocean and pull a tube on the lake for the kids. I wanted this specific boat and happy with it! Looking to restore this specific model!

matt167

Rear Admiral
I live in The Fraser Valley of British Columbia, Canada. Ample Lakes, River system and Ocean. This boat as you know from your stock of boats is aluminum. I want this to be a one catches all situation. Fish on the lake/river/ocean and pull a tube on the lake for the kids. I wanted this specific boat and happy with it! Looking to restore this specific model!
Yes I understand. Repower the boat with a unit from a cheap rotted glass boat. You will save thousands

Hofty

Seaman
Yes I understand. Repower the boat with a unit from a cheap rotted glass boat. You will save thousands
True. Good advice. Yes that is an option. There are various mechanics/sellers who advertise reconditioned motors. I might need to finance the repower so a dealer might be the best bet and if I am spending $5-7K CAD on a reconditioned or $12-5k CAD on a new motor which comes with the good ol warranty et al. Might be worth the extra monthly payments for peace of mind. As I mentioned this boat will be used for many years to come. I am meticulous with life as with maintenance.

briangcc

Commander
Me...I'd be replacing the floor (and potentially foam), yanking the motor, and replacing the transom at a bare, bare minimum. That'd give me a known good starting spot to build off of.

Then, I'd be looking at a 4.3 Merc out of a donor glass boat. Get the whole boat so you have the harnesses needed and scrap whatever you don't need/use/can't sell.

matt167

Rear Admiral
The 4.3L may prove too wide for your liking. Putting it in requires omitting the rear jump seats and possibly making fishing access tighter if you remove them. Later islanders did come with 4.3L though so it is still a good option

Hofty

Seaman
So picked up the boat today. This boat is phenomenal for the price paid. Let me put it out there. Please provide thoughts.

2007 Road Runner Trailer
2x Scotty Electric downriggers (1106 depthmaster
1x 8hp 4 stroke Honda outboard estimated 2000 or newer (appears to be long leg)
1x fish finder (older) hummingbird 535
1x GPS (older) Garmin 126
1x iCom marine receiver
1x Boat with Volvo Penta B20 potential head gasket or cracked block

$1700 CAD

matt167

Rear Admiral
That’s probably a decent deal. See if you can get the engine running and verify the drive is good. The least work option will be repairing what you have. It’s old but those old Volvos are good drives. The transom keyhole is larger than Mercruiser. I’m a mercruiser person but it depends on how much work you want to do.