1972 Sears 3.5 hp

model 217-58560 1972 sears/eska/tecumseh, non impeller model, got this for $40 a month ago, put in new plug, no spark so pulled fly wheel cleaned points then got spark, put in gas, leaked like crazy at carb, pulled carb, no gasket between head and carb, put on that gasket, no more leaking but motor no start, pulled carb again, bath dipped cleaned reassembled, ran gas thru hose when disconnected from carb, gas seems to flow real good like no clogs, can get to run randomly but mostly cant, got to run on third pull last nite so shut off quick and put in water, no run in water, noticed tank gas valve was closed, tried again in water, no run again, there is only one idle valve to fritz with on carb and i hav had that all over in diff positions with no luck here or there and of course the only other thing to manipulate on the carb is the choke, is there a full replacement carb i could put on this thing? i got the rebuild kit from ebay just for the one gasket that crumbled on disassembly, the rubber "condom" thing in the carb is intact no rips etc, no leaking at the rubber o ring between the bowl and rest of carb, old owner of the motor not helpful which is fine, i only paid him $40 and he said he hadnt ran it for 5 years but i know there is more to the story since it didnt even hav the gasket from the carb to the head on it. i am by no means a mechanical whiz but i hav brought a few small engine implements back from the ded including an evinrude mate, is there some kind of sign that i could start it real nice out of water with the tank valve closed and just burning gas that was in the line/carb left over from last time i was fritzing with it, then tank valve open and in water no go? thanks!!!!!

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
did you install the pump diaphragm ( little pink or red bladder ) correctly? Slit is at 2 oclock