1972 Grew SS245

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
The lower unit takes special oil for the electric shift. I didnt see that said anywhere.
Fyi

kenny nunez

Captain
Original type “C” oil was made from whale oil. Around 73 when OMC discontinued using it.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sierra made it until recently, not sure of the formulation, they say it's for OMC.
Google and eBay will find it.

I think Kenny's right. A trans fluid for newer electric assist transmission should work.

Good news, that intermediate sealing boot looks new

Last edited:

Ezepeze

Cadet
Make sure to inspect the splines in the 3-piece vertical drive shaft
Hi Scott. I’m unsure whinch splines you’re referring too. I’m not taking anything apart just replacing fluids for now. I checked the ball gears and they look good. Just worn paint.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hi Scott. I’m unsure whinch splines you’re referring too. I’m not taking anything apart just replacing fluids for now. I checked the ball gears and they look good. Just worn paint.
When you pull the drive apart to replace the raw water pump that has been neglected. Check the splines

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Scott's advice is sound ...

For any "new to you" Stringer it would be highly recommended to check the splines inside the drive and change/seal up the water pump, they are common failure points on stringer and it gives you a good chance to look things over and grease it all up so there are no surprises on your first outing . And it's actually very easy on a stringer .