1972 Glastron V-163 Stringer Configuration (doesn't drain water)

I was about to install a bilge pump. So I bought a deck plate, cut an 8" hole in my perfectly sound deck, only to see (what I thought was) a bazaar stringer set up. I thought stringers only went length-ways... (bow to stern), however I have 1/2" ply-wood reinforcements running horizontally (see pic)... How is water supposed to drain to the bilge area? Wont the horizontal braces trap the water? Sounds like a quick way to rot out the stringers. (The wood is not rotten, however it does look original).. Is this really the factory design, and is there any point in installing a pump?
Test.jpg

kybasser

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1972 Glastron V-163 Stringer Configuration (doesn't drain water)

My 74 176 swinger the cross braces did not go to hull. tha center stringer is lower and water runs along side it, problem i see is bilge area the holes were 3/4 inch up.

jcsercsa

Captain

I was about to install a bilge pump. So I bought a deck plate, cut an 8" hole in my perfectly sound deck, only to see (what I thought was) a bazaar stringer set up. I thought stringers only went length-ways... (bow to stern), however I have 1/2" ply-wood reinforcements running horizontally (see pic)... How is water supposed to drain to the bilge area? Wont the horizontal braces trap the water? Sounds like a quick way to rot out the stringers. (The wood is not rotten, however it does look original).. Is this really the factory design, and is there any point in installing a pump?
View attachment 25973

Hi there 72Glastron75Merc and welcome !!!

Well first lets get you in the right forum , build and restro!!

Yep it sure is , mine didnt have any drainage at all ,and was all rotted
When I did my drainage I cut 1 1/2 pvc in half and glassed it in next to the center stringer !!! so I got drainage from the bow to the stern!!

Did you take a core sample of anything ?? John

Bondo

Staff member

I thought stringers only went length-ways... (bow to stern), however I have 1/2" ply-wood reinforcements running horizontally (see pic)...

Ayuh,... The Stringers run Fore, to Aft....
The cross pieces are Bulkheads, which Should have Limber holes at their bottoms for drainage....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Many hulls come with those holes which seem to get blocked with dirt :confused:

They are normally located along the bottom edge as I marked in your diagram.

I have cleaned them out in many hulls using anything I could fish through..... I have also drilled them in many hulls but be carefull and seal the wood.

Attachments

• Test stringer.jpg
    Test stringer.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0

seaweb11

Banned

I can pretty much guarantee that if you set your skill saw to the right depth and take out a 3ft sq chunk of floor you will find all the holes "if there were any" full of sh*t! and all the stringers & Bulkheads are rotted to the core.

Most people wouldn't even get in their boats if they knew what was under their feet.

Have a look and see, you can always glass a piece of plywood back in if I'm wrong.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Should there be a drain hole with cover near the stern of the boat on the floor because the previous owner put it there? And it appears that the water does not completely drain to the bilge.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My 71 174 had hole from the main bulkhead into the bilge, but they were 1/2" above the hull so water would sit and work its magic.

My 1972 VIP Tri hull had absolutely no drainage what so ever to the bilge and water did works its magic to the point of nearly catostrophic hull failure.