1972 Fiberform Throttle Shifter Knowledge.

fayjim2

Cadet
The shifter throttle says mercruiser on it. I haven,t had it on the water yet. It has one button at the center. If you know how this is supposed to work please advise me Thanks Jim

David Slater

Cadet
Re: 1972 Fiberform Throttle Shifter Knowledge.

Just saw your post, so you've probably got your question answered. If not, the center button pulls out so that you use the throttle only without engaging the shift. after you're back to idle, you can push the button in and it engages the shift mechanism. Now when you push to handle forward, you put it in forward and give it gas at the same time...when you pull it back, you put in reverse and give it throttle.

fayjim2

Cadet
Re: 1972 Fiberform Throttle Shifter Knowledge.

hello Actually you push the button in to just operate the throttle, at least thats how it seems to work after our fissssssrst outting. Engaging the trans is really exciting!!!!!!!!! I almost thru my 40 yr. old son out the back, it really engaged hard. But it later seem to work better. Reverse seems ok. I have been having a backfire thru the carb when engaging trans but onlu 50% of the time, sometimes even 2 or 3 pops????????????????? The trim seemed not right front of boat to high at a cruise speed of 13 mph at 2800 rpm (GM 6cyl. inline0 Well if you have a suggestion please reply in basic terms I,m not a boater.