1972 Evinrude 65hp Triumph slipping sound, not engaging into reverse

Motor just making slipping grinding noise when trying to engage into reverse. Will not go into reverse.. Shifts in and out of forward no problem. Proper lower unit fluid and fluid level in LU. Thanks for any input in advance

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Oil pressure moves the shift piston.-----It takes extra work to compress a spring to get reverse.-----I would guess there is low oil pressure.----Or there is debris in the shift piston bore.------Easy fix for me.----No need for me to look in a manual to fix that simple lower unit.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Chech the voltage at the blue wire going down to lower unit. May be too low to close the reverse valve. (Suspect the push button shift switch).

Oil pressure moves the shift piston.-----It takes extra work to compress a spring to get reverse.-----I would guess there is low oil pressure.----Or there is debris in the shift piston bore.------Easy fix for me.----No need for me to look in a manual to fix that simple lower unit.
Racerone does it require a complete tear down of LU ? Clean up of parts then reseal?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will argue and hesitate---A 50 year old hydro-electric needs a tear down / inspection / reseal if reverse is misbehaving .-----Simple to do and simple is my opinion !

F_R

Supreme Mariner
F_R check for 12volts from the shift unit or inside cowling?
inside cowling. If you find it to be low, you can check at the switch to verify the problem is not between it and the motor end.

BTW, I have no problem with tearing down the lower unit, but it would be a shame to do that if the problem is elsewhere.

With all this in mind, the grinding you are experiencing (from whatever cause) will produce microscopic metal wear grit as the clutch dog bangs around against the reverse gear. Metal grit is the number one cause of sticking of the piston in the oil pump.

Some will argue and hesitate---A 50 year old hydro-electric needs a tear down / inspection / reseal if reverse is misbehaving .-----Simple to do and simple is my opinion !
Thanks for the input racerone and F_R. I'm thinking I will do a teardown inspection. Clean n repair if need and reseal of the LU. The only thing I've replaced in it is the complete water pump and a solenoid wave washer 3 or so years ago. I'm having trouble locating gearcase seal kit. Marine engine no luck. I boat no luck. MasterTech same. Any pointers on parts locater?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They did not market kits back then.----You have to order all separately.

Last edited:
Motor just making slipping grinding noise when trying to engage into reverse. Will not go into reverse.. Shifts in and out of forward no problem. Proper lower unit fluid and fluid level in LU. Thanks for any input in advance
I got all seals ordered. Tore into LU. Clutch dog mesh teeth well rounded as well as mesh teeth on reverse gear. I ordered new OEM parts on ebay. Anyone know the pinion nut size on end of driveshaft? I'd like to pull oil pump out and inspect/clean while I'm in there. Thanks

Take a look at the seal kit for a 1978 model 70 HP.----Might be a good
Be 11/16" wrench.
Resealed lower unit. Installed new forward gear, clutch dog, reverse gear. Impeller all oem parts.. Cleaned oil pump, shift piston etc and reinstalled. New type C LU oil. Pressure test held.. When turning shaft w drill setup, cannot get to shift into neutral or reverse when applying 12 volts to appropriate solenoid wires. I can hear solenoids clicking.. the Oil pump was seated in w guide pin as it supposed to. All components replaced in proper sequence. All bolts torqued according to service manual. Any pointers to look at?