1972 50 hp hydroelec shift L/U stuck in neutral

drydockedman

Recruit
I've search many forums but couldn't find anything this specific. Without going into all of the details, I can say I went thru hell learning and fixing up the solenoid adjustments in a previous lifetime lol. Everything ran fine for a couple seasons. This year I did a check but couldn't get out of NEUTRAL !!! I emptied the gearcase and found metal shavings (gold or brass colour) in the oil. I suspect a clutch dog or something in the hydro pump. Can anyone tell me a way to test (beyond the solenoids) to determine what my internal problem is. I would like to try actuating the levers on the pump manually just to be sure my sol's are still OK. Is it worth repair (I will do the work) or better to swap the L/U. Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 50 hp hydroelec shift L/U stuck in neutral

If, with the engine NOT running and the battery disconnected, the gearcase is still in neutral, the gearcase will be required to be dismantled.

drydockedman

Recruit
Re: 1972 50 hp hydroelec shift L/U stuck in neutral

Thanks for your response. I'll start disassembling the gearcase this week. I'm sure I'll be back with technical issues sometime along the way.