1972 15' Nova rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Years ago we had a problem with our 1976 850 that after it got warm, ie, about 3/4 a tank of fuel, the "high side" would drop out. It would idle great but no power. I fiddled for months trying to narrow down the cause, (stator or switch box) both hi $$ pieces.

Finally took it to a dealer, they diagnosed it with their test gear, and replaced the switch box.
No problems sense. Best few 100 I spent.

Dan

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Swapped out the coil with one off my other motor and still no spark on the bottom cylinder. Double checked the plugs and wires and they are good to go. Spoke with one of the trusted mechanics at the local marina and he stated 99% of the time its the switchbox. He's checking on prices now. Might just bite the bullet and replace it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I can get new CDI switch boxes for my 140 Merc at ebay for around 70 bucks a pair, might get the part # and check there before paying the inflated shop prices.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I can get new CDI switch boxes for my 140 Merc at ebay for around 70 bucks a pair, might get the part # and check there before paying the inflated shop prices.

Yeah, I'll see what he comes back with. He said he's had just as good of luck with used ones as he has new, and was going to shoot me a price for Mercury new, aftermarket new, and used. He owns the marina where my in-laws have their pontoon and lent me the BIA template for drilling my transoms, so I'm not too worried about him trying to gouge me. I've got the part number and will be doing some checking as well, he just might have a better angle on a serviceable used one with his knowledge and sources.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
New or used?
But either way WOW, I'm remembering the switch box being in 300 range back in the day. (the 850 just has 1)
And of course the web much less the bay didn't exist back then.

Dan

"new CDI switch boxes for my 140 Merc at ebay for around 70 bucks a pair,"

Watermann

That would be brand new from CDI, I see some of the sellers under 50 for the pair.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Received the new switch box on Saturday and installed it today. Checked spark to both cylinders and we’re good to go. She fired right up and ran on the muffs without issue. Trying to post a video from my iPhone, but it won’t let me upload.

waiting to her back from a friend about availability of another splash attempt sometime this week.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Awesome, you get a good deal on the SB?

Not really. I was looking at $100 for a used or $175 for an aftermarket new he had on hand. Found an aftermarket new online for $150, arrived on my door step 2 days later, and took me about 15 minutes to install. I found the same for about $20 less from a different supplier, but paid the extra from the reputable/known supplier for the reassurance that I could return it if there was an issue.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nova15B.jpg ​​​​​​​
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​​
​​ New switch box worked like a champ. 29.1 mph on the GPS. I guess I’ll consider this as my “official” SPLASH! 😎

Reactions: RUN

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've got a video as well, but can't get it to post due to file size. Anyone have any ideas other than opening a Youtube account?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I've got a video as well, but can't get it to post due to file size. Anyone have any ideas other than opening a Youtube account?

Reduce the resolution size on your video, first try 480, if it is still to big, drop it to 240.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like a CHAMP also...great work and congrats M8!

Watermann

Congrats on the splash! She looks great, nice work!!! :thumb:

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
looks amazing, nice work! and Congratulations on the SPLASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.