1972 15' Nova rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Floatation - I have enough pool noodles on hand to fill the hull. I know the consensus is now to use the pink sheets from the box stores, but am I really compromising much with the 550lb weight rating of this 15ft'r if I just use the noodles? I have no problem foregoing the noodles, but since they're here?? I plan to add some floatation behind the side panels where able as well.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I used noodles. However since then a member here did a test comparing the flotation capability of them versus the sheet foam and it wasn't even close. I wouldn't use them again.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I used noodles. However since then a member here did a test comparing the flotation capability of them versus the sheet foam and it wasn't even close. I wouldn't use them again.

Yes, I saw that too and understand the value the pink sheets add, but if you had enough noodles already on hand to do the job, would you use them or replace them with the sheets? I know 2 of those noodles and my natural buoyancy can just keep my 225lb frame at the surface of a pool...you'd have to think that a hull full of those things should be sufficient...even if there are more sufficient options?

I've got small kids (who will be in life jackets) and won't be out in the ocean or any Great Lakes. I like to mitigate risk, but are the noodles incapable, or simply just less ideal in boat my size?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's the problem with the noodle concept, boats aren't neutral buoyant like a human body when immersed in water. Motor and lead batteries make up the most dead weight. Try floating 225 lbs of concrete with a pool noodle.

I would use rigid foam board, at least 1 - 2" sheet in the belly and use your noodles too chances are you won't need any flotation but water is just as deadly in a pond as it is the ocean.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think I may have missed the Gluvit drying pic, so here's some Spar drying to make up for it.

Instructions call for 3 coats, is that what everyone is doing even with the vinyl floor covering? Anyone tried to roll this stuff on, or is the brush the way to go?

Watermann

I use a brush so I can rinse it in thinner and reuse it.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I use a brush so I can rinse it in thinner and reuse it.

I tried wrapping mine in Saran Wrap and sealed it in a plastic bag...we'll see how it looks in the morning for the second coat. Works well with paint, but this is my first rodeo with the Spar. Man, those fumes really hit you when you pull the respirator off!

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use the cheapest roller covers they sell at HD, and cut them in half with a miter saw. If I use them on consecutive days, one will last as long as it's wrapped tightly in a bag at night. As soon as you let a day go by without using it, though, it's trash.

For the places I can't get with a roller I use the cheap 99 cent chip brushes.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Mnhunter1 - I'm just getting up to speed on your progress and projects. Nice buck last winter. I also enjoy any kind of hunting possible. New Hanger looks like an excellent workspace. Your build along with many others is giving me inspiration to gut and rebuild my 18 SS this upcoming fall / winter and early spring. I'm reading and following along making my wish lists. Nice work so far. I like the OD green on the Nova. I haven't seen many of that model around. It has some fancy lines.

When its time for me to coat my timbers, I am going to use the cheap covers from HD or Harbor Freight and then the 99 cent brushes.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
Going pink myself mn, and them cheap 99 cent brushes stored in ziplock in freezer, gave me two uses before they were useless

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Update - wife worked the weekend, placing me on daddy duty. Managed to get all flooring, side panels, and bow supports sealed with Spar. Just have the dash to seal, but still need to layout my steering and switch panel for hole cuts before that takes place.

Got the foam all cut and fitted last night

Used the flooring as a template to get the Nautolex cut and prepped tonight

Pic is of the backside, storm grey is the color.

Next steps - install bracket and bilge pump, install plate between floor supports to section off the foam from the bilge, install t-nuts for pedestal, then install flooring and Nautolex.

Watermann

You got quite a bit of foam board packed in there :thumb:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Like.the idea of the wood as template for vinyl cut. Have to remember that

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
ditto, on using your decking to cut out vinyl, glad I saw it as I will go same route, good on ya with all that pink, looking good

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You got quite a bit of foam board packed in there :thumb:

Yes, I jammed as much in as I could. Took a little creativity around the backer board/doublers and pedestal mount, but I'm happy with how everything laid out. I'll add some behind the side panels as well, just need to determine whether or not I'm going to mount some speakers in there first.

Like.the idea of the wood as template for vinyl cut. Have to remember that

It worked out really slick. Just used a utility knife and a yard stick along the edge of the flooring as a guide. Gave me about a 1.5 - 2" overhang on each side for some wiggle room and will hopefully still leave enough material on each side of the 72" roll to use for the gunnels of my other 16SS project waiting in the wings. Went free hand around the bow curve, but was no problem cutting clean and steady lines with the utility knife. Much easier than I thought it would be.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got all the bilge work done aside from all the wiring and hook ups, and the t-nuts hammered in with some TB3. I think I'm finally ready to fasten down the deck and lay down the vinyl. Picked up some more 5200 today and have everything on hand to git'r done. Let's hope the family allows me some time this weekend:)

Status
Not open for further replies.