1971 Mercury 650 Lower Unit Inspection

delta07d

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 28, 2012
Messages
32
I picked up a 1971 Merc 650 for cheap ($125) the lower unit had "something" happen in it, that's what P/O said (didn't hit anything he thought). The case in cracked near the back. I would like to pull the parts out, what should I look for as far what could be damaged/broken? I was able to pull the prop shaft and carrier out the nut fell out because of the crack.

Thanks,
 

delta07d

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 28, 2012
Messages
32
Re: 1971 Mercury 650 Lower Unit Inspection

Ok after further teardown I found that the pinion gear nut was barely finger tight and the pinion gear is pretty chewed up. From what I can tell the other parts look ok. Guess I need a gear housing, and rebuild or find a different lower unit??

Thanks,
 

delta07d

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 28, 2012
Messages
32
Re: 1971 Mercury 650 Lower Unit Inspection

Would a gear case housing from a 1967 merc 650 replace one for a 1971 housing?
 
Top